Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Elections 2011

For the past week, the papers, the media and the social network was abuzzed with 7 May 2011 elections. Mudslinging, clarifications, apologies, personal statements. Wow, the elections really had changed from the time I first voted at the turn of the millenia. For most of the time where I have stayed were uncontested areas. Either that, I was just too young. I remembered I first heard about the hammer, aka Workers Party, back in 80s when my parents were required to vote. I didnt know much then coz I was just too young. I didnt even understand the relevance of the opposition in the political scene.

Facebook seemed to have changed the whole course of the elections. More information is being put up for more to see, as compared to the past when the citizens were restricted to the news on TV and print. Well, unless of course, you happen to stay in the opposition ward. Only then will people be able to understand slightly what life was like that to be in a non current ruling party ward.

I made it a point to attend the rally because I wanted to have a foretaste of what the electrifying atmosphere was like. Singapore has been peaceful internally so far. There are no strikes, nor demonstrations. And what I saw, opened my eyes to the power of mob mentality. With a crowd of 30000, any form of upheavals of emotions will render any form of law maintenance helpless.

***
Monday's swim was followed by dinner with the blokes. First time doing it and it was peppered with laughter the whole hour I was there. Funny Nick was the joker for the night. Apparently, every Monday night!

Been working late again recently and Tuesday I just couldnt make it out the door for my intervals. Frustrated, I slept in early.

Wednesday afternoon was washed out. Into the 6th km and I was forced to take shelter at petrol kiosk. Lightning filled the sky and was really threatening. Spent the afternoon on the trainer doing cycling sets, to a total of just over 2 hours.


Thursday afternoon I tried to do a 8km tempo run on the track. I had to run at 3pm because I had a meeting at 1630. But on the 8.5 lap (out of 20), I called it off. The temperature was just too suffocating and the body was not cooling fast enough. Stopped to douse water but it still did not work. Started the run again at 1800. This time with Andrew and Uncle Lim (from MR25) following me - dammit, as their WARM UP! They had their sets to do which I did not have a part in. Needed to get home for a nice sports massage at night.


Friday did my swim 500m to 100m in step down of 100m. Followed by 10x50m with 15s break in between. Slightly better than last week's session but still not swimming at the times I did before. Am wondering when I can get the pace back.


Did 180km bike today. 4 loops Mandai followed by the usual route. Am glad that the cadence was back today. But the legs endurance had slipped. Could withstand the distance but the speed was not quite up to mark. Weather played a part in increasing the fatigue I think. It was really hot from 10am onwards and I reached home only at about 1pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment