Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Kids Tribob Triathlon

Last of the series of 3. It was a crazy time. Reached there pretty late. They were still doing their warm up swim when I saw the older kid's wave took off! Had to rush her through to start line so that she could start the swim. Next thing I realised, my younger kid's wave had already gone even before they did their warm up. In the end, she joined the last wave with the older boys. Yeah, she was the only girl then. Pretty crazy morning. They still did their tri nonetheless. Starter was nice enough to let my younger kid join the last wave.




***
Embarked on my 32.8 km run today in the evening. Weather for the whole day had been good. Cloudy, light drizzle, cool temperature. Slept for an hour before heading out to clear any fatigue from the lack of sleep over the week.


8 laps round the estate of 4.1km per lap. Coach prescribed 5:40 pace for 4x8km, 2min breaks in between the 8km. With overall timing of 3:05:41, it is within expectations. BUT I did take extra breathers on the 5th and 7th laps. Times per lap were 22:47, 23:16, 22:55, 22:41, 23:05, 23:09, 23:43 and 24:03. The last 2 laps I was overwhelmed. I thought I was going at the same pace as before - hoping to catch the 23:14 target. Overshot by so much and wanted the last lap to count and it turned out to be the worst of the lot.


Am I ready for Cairns? Before reservist, perhaps. I knew then I was getting kind of tired also. After reservist, I can get by, but not with the improvement I would have wanted. But like I said, such is life. Perhaps I peaked too early. Perhaps it is a sign I should take a break. One thing is for sure, I dont think I am cut out to do 2 ironman distance triathlons in a period of 6 months. That, I am quite sure of.


So, after Cairns, I will focus on shorter sessions but with higher intensity. I have sort of a programme planned out in my head for myself already. To keep myself tuned up and prevent the rust from setting in. After all, it has been 3 years of ironman training. Not about to throw it all away. I still enjoy all 3 legs. Keeps me fit physically and mentally. Hope to continue with this lifestyle for more years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment