Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lunar New Year Holiday!

Lunar new year is special to Chinese. It probably is synonymous of Thanksgiving whereby family come together. A joyous occasion for the renewal and rekindling of relationships and ties. And not to forget, a time of feasting! I particularly like the family gatherings. The laughter, the sharing of stories, flopping on the sofa and just let the mind go blank in front of the goggle box, the continuous eating of the unending streams of food.

But I had a young colleague who commented, "I hate the visiting." Just what had happened to this festive season. Somehow the meaning had been lost somewhere. I would liken this loss to the meaning of red packets where relatives and friends expect a huge amount of money in the red packet, when it was meant to be a blessing only in the past. And that visiting had become a way to collect more red packets so that we can "break even" with the amount that had gone out. I agree that it can be tiring but the rewards are intangible. How often do we get to work and can say that we can let our hair down and just be ourselves? Without having to take precautions of our actions and words that could be taken against us? Think for many of us, this is a lifestyle.

Maybe the busy worklife had turned the whole festive mood topsy turvy. I admit, I had been so busy that many observances have been overlooked. Spring cleaning for one. I dont have a domestic helper. And of late my part time domestic aid had to stop temporarily because of family matters. The culture seemed to have been lost and sadly so.

Nonetheless, it still will be a nice gathering of people we love and perhaps, all else can be overlooked. Perhaps, one day, it will evolve into something that is simpler, so that all can enjoy the season.

***
The rain throughout the whole weekend was amazing. And Monday evening there was a window for the swim to happen, some drills, and 200+300+300+200. Seemed all too familiar. Didnt Coach just gave me something similar last week? Just that I had greater mileage? Yeah, caught my breadth pretty quick. Nice!

Tuesday track was a new mileage:10x400m in 2.5min sets. This meant continuous running on every 2.5min - the longer I take to run the 400m, the shorter break I have. I did decent 1st 7 sets, mostly 88-89s with the first at conservative 90s. I basically followed the 60 year old Uncle Lim but push for a strong 100m finish to cross the line 1s earlier than him. But only managed that for 7 times. Thereafter I crossed the line together with him, one in 92, one in 93 and the final one in 90, thereabouts. But according to Andrew, this was alright because the body was used to the mileage up till the 7th set only and anything thereafter was extra stress. He is the running guru after all and I suppose it made sense. Or maybe it was just consoling words. He did his 400m in 62s thereabouts. Darn! He is sure going to outrun me in AVIVA this year despite going into this race for the 1st time.

Today was day off from work. Rode with Andrew 5 loops at Mandai, including the short section heading into the zoo. Each loop turned out to be 19km. I only managed to keep up with him for 1st loop, thereafter I just left him to ride on his own. His hill climbing was just way beyond me. His average on the undulating terrain was over 31kph while mine was the high 28s. I had to shorten my last loop so that I could return for the run at the same time. We did a 5km run together. I took 26.5min, while he took just 21min, with a negative split. We were having a conversation for about just over 1km when we started before he tore through the tarmac.

It was a whole new riding experience for me. When I go on the 200km bike in the past, I get to rest on the flats. But with Mandai, it was continous climbing. The only rest I got were the downhills before I hit the next slope. And it had been a long time since my thighs actually ached from a ride. I hope this change will help to get me stronger on the bike. I had wanted to use fixed gear for the whole ride. I had better shelf that idea for the time being.

I think I will have to think of unscrupulous ways to disable Andrew at AVIVA... puncture tyres, kick him while he was biking... oops. Bad karma indeed...




No comments:

Post a Comment