Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Dear Watson

No, I am not referring to Sherlock Holmes and his detective buddy.


Remember Deep Blue II? The computer that defeated Gary Kasparov, former chess champion? Now here comes Watson, a computer that is able to play the American gameshow Jeopardy and is better than the human participants. It is able to listen, decipher human language, process the question and answer it correctly.


This might be the closest to Artificial Intelligence we have come to I think? So, the infamous "I'll be back" Terminator robots, nanny robots from iRobot, may just be not too distant a future for us. Robots that can think and work on its own. It sure is going to be uncanny. As if the human race had not be destructive towards each other by having a mind of their own, to think we add in one more race. Perhaps influenced by the movies, but I have always believed that what the human mind can conceive, can happen in reality. It will only be a matter of time.


Just take space travel for example - Richard Branson is working on space holiday, supposedly to be ready in a few years time. And we thought it would be near impossible? The billionaire may just succeed and make it a reality. Star wars programme in the US was a reality and still on going today. Is it really that unrealistic?


What will be the cause and effect of A.I.? We cant tell can we? Sophistication will find its way into technology and reality might be painful bullet for all to bite into. Perhaps, somebody will have to read into the future and make a study on scenario planning soon. It may just come sooner than we all anticipate.


***
Shoulders still had a tinge of ache today. Still did my swim routine nonetheless. Swam in the rain and despite it being heavy, none of us were hauled out of the pool. But I did shorten my 400m kicks warm up to 200m because I was worried that I might not be able to finish my main sets. Completed 4x200m (all under 3:12, best times so far), 4x100m (all under 1:32, best times so far too), 12x50m on the 55s and 2x500m time trial (both in 8:48, not too fast times I think,compared to previous sessions, but good enough for me).


And now its time for yoga! Soothing for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment