Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Bike Maintenance

How long do ironman triathletes spend on the bike? Training sessions are from 3 to 7 hours perhaps? The race itself is at least 5.5hrs for the average age grouper.


Considering this long time on the bike, and the high mileage involved while training, it is inevitable that the bicycle will face various forms of wear and tear. Such persistent change in parts include:


1) tyres - Clearly, this is the only part that comes into contact with the road. And this is the part that will keep the cyclist safe. Slipping and falling is the last thing that as cyclists we will want to face because there is a huge chance that vehicles will roll over us, secondly, it will mean injuries that will affect the work done in preparing for any race. I remember I rode my Michelin Pro 3 tyres till the white fiber was exposed in small patches. I had not noticed it until I slipped and crashed.


2) chain - There is mileage lifespan of about 1500km or so? My bike mechanic recommends something like 1cm between links as maximum and will require replacement.


3) cassette - Best to change them together with the chain but I dont. Usually I will only change them after 3000km or more.


4) brake pads - Very long lasting. The last time I changed them was more out of wanting to get rid of the old pads. I have no idea what is the recommended usage period.


5) lubricate - I lubricate the chain myself occasionally. This is to ensure that the chain is not overly dry and cause premature short life span. I use Dumonde Tech.


6) elbow rest cushion - changed to a pair of comfortable pads by Cee Gees as the original ones are a tad thin. However, Cee Gees do wear down pretty fast too. My doing or not, I dont know. There fabric exposed to the velcros are beginning to rip off. Probably have to think of a way to hold them down to the elbow cups if it does come off.


7) nuts and bolts - Any of them that are not stainless steel nor titanium, will rust. Recently I just decided to remove the bolts and buts from the elbow cups, sandpapered them down, resprayed them and reused. They were getting really trashed up (rusty) from all the sweat and water I exposed them to while out in my sessions. And these parts are not readily available. If I need to replace them, I would have to buy the whole set of aerobars - which was what I did to replace the J clamp that broke 1 week ago. Despite being made of aluminium, I think under the stress from transport to Western Australia, it decided to give way during my ride last Wednesday.


After having trained for this muti sport for the past 1.5 years, I have found that if I do not take care of my equipment, I will have to pay the cost of replacing parts that could have lasted longer if I had cleaned them up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment