Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

THULE Modified!









Final modification for my ride - the Thule roof and bike rack! I should have bought them long time ago but I had held it back as I always insisted on cycling from home. But recently, I have been driving to Coastal and do the weekday rides there. The dirty bike been scrapping my wheel arch inside the car, the leather seats, arm rests. Not to mention the dirty chain and chain ring rubbing against the seat. If I continue resting the bike in the rear seats, the indentation would be permanent soon.


The worse part was that my 3 other family members squeezed in the front seat whenever my wife picked me up after a race, or from the jetty. Or ever so often my 2 girls had to squeeze in front when I bring the bike to work. I wouldnt be changing my car for the next 3-4 years or more if possible. So it makes sense to look after the car a bit and not let it age too ungraciously.


What I did notice with the roof rack was the whistling sound from the disrupted airflow by the rack and rails, especially while travelling on the expressways. It will take some time getting use to the new resistance.


***


Tuesday's track session was cancelled as it was a scheduled rest day. Anyway, I might have to stop training with the blokes as I need to get back home earlier from next week onwards. So I will have to get Coach to prescribe interval sessions then. Coach gave me 2x1200m and 4x800m intervals as the replacement. I managed 5:07 and 5:14 for the 1200m, 3:31, 3:24, 3:21 and 3:23 for the 800m runs today. Worked out to be less than 4:30 pace for all sets. I think I will have to make do with training on my own and hopefully be able to improve still. Although the session was still pretty tough but they were not as strenuous when I ran with Andrew and company. However, it will have to do from now on.


Wednesday did a 85km biking session. A few brief moments of heavy rain that made it more comfortable to bike in. And as usual the HR just couldnt come close to the prescribed level. Managed 8x1min sprints to end off the session. Had miscounted and was suppose to do 10. With the rain and wet road, I was pedaling with more caution. Better safe than sorry


Today did a swim instead of tempo run. Because I have a staff cross country race tomorrow at Bedok Reservoir. The fast blokes will not be running. So I am given the chance with a shot at the podium. NICE! Swim consisted of 20x50m (fast 50m 1 way and recover on the return - this was considered as 2 laps of 50m). Thereafter did a 10x50m with 2min recovery and a final 300m warm down. Somehow managed mostly 41s for all the 20m of so called sprints, with a few in 43s and some in 40s. Towards the end, the lungs felt expanded and did not feel as tired. Have no idea why though.



No comments:

Post a Comment