Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Pampered Feet

Been using Newton shoes since mid 2009. The conversion to that had been smooth and had never looked back. When new, the cushion was very absorbing and they have kept me injury free all these time.


However, I couldnt resist buying a heavily discounted pair of K-Swiss K-Ona Ironman edition shoes (old model) yesterday. Yeah, its one of those that the shop was clearing. Tried them out for the 32km run today. Silly me. Didnt expect the forefoot to get so sore from the pounding. Initially they had a good spongy return. But after 10km, my soles started to feel the bashing. Perhaps they have yet to be seasoned. So yeah, this is not Newtons which I can use on a long run even when new.


End result? 57:26 for 1st 10km, 58:02 for 2nd 10km, 1:02 for 3rd 10km and 11min for the last 2km. Total time was 3:08:16. Worse timing by 2 min since 2 weeks ago. The Lornie Road run was really tough on the legs after 18km. And it rolled for about 2km. With the soles crying out for help, it didnt help to make the situation better. Coach had wanted me to do it in 5:45 pace but it was not meant to be. Missed it by a morbid 4min.


Nope, cant blame the shoes for the lowered performance. I am still not able to go under 3hr for the 32km run. Which means that my marathon will not be under 4hours still. Long way to go...


***


Friday's staff race, yes. Forgot all about it. Really didnt think too much of it because if not for the absence of the fast runners, I wouldnt have podium the run. Came in 2nd in 17:53 for the 4.2km Bedok Reservoir run. The 1st guy was way way too fast, in 14:46. That's a blistering 3:30 pace! New guy from Holland. It was a good run for myself nonetheless. Never expected myself to do a 4:15 pace after all these years and with all the extra baggage (the spare tyres).


***


Last night I visited an old army mate who was teaching in the school where I use to be. He was having a school camp over the weekend. Spoke of his experiences and reminded me of how fortunate I am now. It brought back memories, both nice and not so nice. More of the not so nice though. And I wondered why will any one person want to make the lives of others miserable? What is there to gain? Reminded me of how mafia thrived in fear. End of the day, arent we all employees? Is there really a need to step on another just to get what you want? What is there to gain? Another promotion? For what? A display of power? Or a lack of self esteem?


Maybe my thoughts of work is warped. But I still do my job to the best of my ability and definitely beyond. I do not look for a pat on the shoulder nor monetary gains nor status upgrade. I have gone past that. Just let me do what I enjoy doing. Because if that is even taken away, work would have lost its meaning that is hung by the finest of thread/s.


Have we thought of how we may just be mere puppets in an economic circus ring? We may think we are the puppeteers, but are we? If not us, then who is really running the show?

No comments:

Post a Comment