Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Future Is Here!

Ever wondered if the finger pressing Head Up Display computer screen that Tom Cruise was browsing through in Minority Report will ever be a reality?


Or a room that automatically dims as you sit down to watch a movie at home, or brightens up on its own when you return home at night? Check this out! It is a reality in the making already! May be in its primitive stage for now, but soon will evolve into probably marketable? Or maybe its already in production?


***
Instead of swimming on Friday, I changed it to Thursday so that I wont have 2 consecutive days of running. Spent about 2 hours in the pool trying to get my swim better. Alternated laps of 50 with fist swim as well as sliding workouts for 10 laps (i.e. 5 each). Followed by 10x100m all under 1:40. 6x50m was suppose to be on the 50s but could only make it for 1st lap of 50m. The rest were about 52s. Somehow something is wrong with the efficiency. This was followed by 4x50m with hard 50m and 50m breast stroke recovery. Maybe I was just fatigued from Sunday's race.

Yesterday's tempo run was strange. I thought I was hitting out good and fast. Felt like a 4:30 pace. But turned out to be just over 5min pace. I suspect that the Polar GPS has computed the distance wrongly and made me run more than the prescribed 5km. Took 26:21. Too long... way too long. Came back very disappointed.


This morning went for a ride with Kin Kok. Did Mandai loops 8 times over. Total mileage of 172km. Was planning to do 10 loops but the weather got into me. Heart rate was too low and I tried to ensure that my powermeter read more than 170W. In fact, I did not even go out for a 4km run after the bike. I hope the Sunday's 70.3 race will start to wear off soon. This week had not been the same and my A race is coming up fast and furious!


 I have concluded that the powermeter is not that accurate. Reason being that it doesnt take into consideration whether I was riding with big chain ring or small. Like I mentioned before, it is probably driven mathematically by elevation, cadence, speed and wind speed somehow. At speeds over 40kph today, the powermeter registered 0W. I dont know why. Would I recommend the iBike system? If budget is a constraint, yes. Its better than nothing. If not and user is into accuracy, then most likely not. For me, it will work just fine.

1 comment:

  1. Rest well my friend, I learn it the hard way yesterday..spend more time on the strokes to fine tune it, I find myself still doing stroke drills after so many years of swimming. They will be beneficial in the long run. Go slow with correct stroke.

    I am changing my training on the bike by using power meter too. Need to learn from you how to effectively use it.

    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete