Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Fukushima 50

Community Involvement Programme, also know as the CIP, was started in 1997, for the purpose of "educating local students such that they will understand that each and every Singaporean has the role and capability of improving and enhancing our society and community". And "5 Co Curricular Activity (CCA) points would be awarded for 100 hours of CIP activities clocked over the 4 years in secondary school." Reference was taken from here.


Of course, over the course of major refinements, things have evolved, just like any system. But one thing remained the same, the "what is in it for us" mentality still stands: give me the hours of service learning or I will not do it.


Versus Tomoya, my fellow Japanese triathlete's comment on his Facebook status: asking my parents to come to Singapore. My dad says "oh just signed up for a new job. I'm responsible for this job, cant say no." My mum says "I cant leave Japan cos so many people in the north are suffering. I can welcome them to come to our house in Tokyo." I realised its about concerning about others, 1st priority.


I suppose it is out of concern and safety of his parents that Tomoya wanted his parents to fly to Singapore, amidst the chaos and radiation risks from the Fukushima nuclear disaster due to the tsunami and earthquake.


And not forgetting the Fukushima 50. Workers who were volunteers, or were volunteered for this job of continuing the job in the nuclear plant, exposing themselves to the dangers of radiation exposure, so that they could ensure that others may live. The media reported them as nameless, faceless workers, to face death many times over in a day.


I dont think the Japanese are looking out for CIP hours.


***


This had been a good 1 week break from work. Training and spending time with the kids - although for a good more than half was only with 1 kid, while the other was in Beijing on her school's China Immersion Programme (different CIP). Kid just got back and was one tired dude!


Monday's swim was pretty good. Turned out that I could do 100m consistently in 1:25 thereabouts for 3 sets worth. But of course the motivation was that I was chasing the faster blokes. Also learnt to change my stroke slightly - from Jerry, the former national coach for Triathlon Association of Singapore (TAS).


Tuesday was Coach's interval training. 6x800m in 4:20 pace. Managed on track 3:22, 3:25, 3:24, 3:22, 3:21 and 3:19, all under 4:20 pace. Nice!


Wednesday did a 95km bike ride followed by a 4km run. My powermeter, as expected, was blocked by the aerobottle. Power reading was virtually not existent. Decided to get a Topeak bar extender so that the meter can be attached away from the rear of the bottle. More things sticking out of the bike. The bike is just getting heavier and heavier... Well, by 120g this time. It is already heavy as it is now on race day! Darn!


Today did a 8km tempo run at night. Suppose to have done earlier but hunger got the better of me. Very cool night for a good under 5min/km pace. Did the 8km in just under 39min. Very pleased with myself because I know I could have gone on for another 2km or more. So that would have given me an under 50min 10km run. I havent done that for quite a long while already. Since about 19 years ago perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment