Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

How Much Can We Prepare For A Race?

Kona looms around the corner. And for all ironman triathletes, we know that this is the epitome of ironman racing. After all, in order to take part in the World Championships, you will have to qualify. And to qualify, you will have to win your age group, or at least the top few.


What does it take to qualify? It really depends on the field for the race you are using to qualify in, as well as the level the triathletes you are competing against. As for my age group, I think even a 10 hour ironman will be hard to qualify for Kona. Yes, 10 hours will mean 1 hour swim, 5.5.hr bike and 3.5hr run. And transition timings have to be included. Thats an average of 32.7kph on the bike, 5min/km pace. Massive massive speed and fitness. Or you could even have a 5h bike and 4 hr run. Whatever it is, it is tough to qualify and onlythe top athletes do get there.


The pros complete their bike usually in less than 4.5hrs and run in less than 3hrs. Thats a massive 40kph average on the bike and sub4min/km pace on the run. Its no wonder they make a living out of it. How many age groupers will be able to get to that level, really?


3 times consecutive woman's champion for the past 3 years, Chrissie Wellington, and 2 times consecutive man's champion, Craig Alexander, will be pitting their endurance fiteness against their respective fields of professional ironman triathletes on 9 October. Chrissie is 33 and Craig is 37 this year. Will they be able to go on to repeat their feats again this year? Personally, I dont think there is anybody in the woman's field who can match Chrissie. Her prowess in the bike and the run is smoking hot. Craig has a huge run. In the 2009 Kona, he ran the competitors down, which was a 14min lead on him after T2, thereabouts. I really hope he can do it again this year.


But you never know. In a race, there can be so many unseen circumstances that could affect the athlete. Chris McCormack, also known as Macca, had gear cable ripped off while Normann Stadler had double flat tyre in the same race. Of course, there is also the mind that will make or break the race. I am sure Normann would have gone on to complete the race instead of DNF during that race if he had remained calm and fixed the flats or even wait for the technical support. But then again, I am not a pro. It was his livelihood. And to see his competitors zipping past him must have been really painful.


Enrico just got back from his Berlin marathon. He did a fantastic time of 3:37. Although not his personal best and did not qualify for Boston, I still think he did a great job. He was injured and still recovering when he raced. Not many would have been able to get a timing like that. I know I would not have. It takes a lot of different types of training and loads of discipline to maintain a pace of 5min/km for 42km, not withstanding the pros - marathoners or ironman triathletes alike.


We can only do so much to prepare for a race. Sometimes what is left is a little of good fortune to be able to attain our PB. To me, preparation not only includes doing well, but also to prepare the mind to be strong in case I do not do so well. I suppose this is the mentality from not wanting to DNF a race? Once I had a flat in an OD, I had brake rub during WA 2009 and this year I had a bad swim start at an OD as well. And it did cross my mind to give it all up and call it quits. I think if I had quitted, I would have made it a habit to quit everytime I encounter a difficulty. And it might be hard to get out of that hole once I had started it. So, I will rather finish slow then to give up the race. To me, the amount of time and training and sacrifices is just too much to be given up like this. I havent done too many races so I can preach this all I want. Perhaps, one day, it may just happen to myself. But until then, I will hold on tightly to this mindset.


***


Had swim on Tuesday and also spent over an hour on the bike trainer. Swim was interrupted by thunder, so was hauled up after warm ups, 5x200m and 3x100m. Completely missed out on the 1km TT. Quite pissed but what could I do?


Wednesday did a 60km bike followed by an 8km run. Had to whip out the 808s to test for Saturday's Desaru race. Felt good on the wheels, much smoother than the training pair - without a doubt, obviously - and clearly much lighter than the disc. Run was good too. Nothing strenous and felt strong. Probably coz I was not running too hard. Negative splitted the 2 halves easily. Non race pace made it simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment