Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Thank-Less vs Thank-Full

A colleague of mine posted on Facebook,"What is so hard about (1) queuing up for the lift and (2) saying "thanks" when someone lets you go in first?" And just last night, I had to reprimand my daughter for saying "I did not leave it there in the first place" when I asked her why she left the hair brush on the sofa after using. All hell broke lose thereafter with me. And it is not the first time I got such a retort. Hair bands left strewn on the floor, lights and fan left switched on after use, blankets undone. No, I do not pick up after them. Maybe their grandma did - I am not sure. So yes, its a habit that is still being inculcated. But it sure is hard sinking in. Is this the new generation behaviour? If so, where did they pick it up from? Home? School? Friends? Home education plays a huge role in molding the character. But with dual working incomes for most families in Singapore, maybe this had taken the backstage and less taught? I hope my kids will outgrow it soon with my nagging. Or I will slowly go insane with the constant reminders.


So many times I have actually held the malls' door open for my family to walk through and guess what? Strangers inevitably walked through. Well, I have no issues with this but it was the nonchalant walk through, without any form of appreciation that irked me to the core. What has become of common courtesy? And we are back to the same silly discussion: do we need the courtesy lion to remind us to be civic minded?


***


Today I did a 28km run after 2 weeks of absence from long distance run, excluding the half marathon last Sunday. It was difficult, especially after the hard 150km ride in the heat yesterday. Initially I kept up my HR to high Zone 3, which was the usual in the past I think, but I knew I could not sustain it after 5km. In the end just lived with trying to complete rather than have a good pace. My sorry legs were just not up to it. I cant seem to find them, sadly... Already they arent that fantastic, and now made worse. What is going on? I have absolutely no idea. Did the run at average of 6:10km pace. Was hoping to keep it under 6 at least, but clearly disappointed.


Getting kind of frustrated with the Polar HRM. Footpod is not quite accurate and the HR transmitter sometimes act up on me. Maybe it is time to consider getting a GPS instead since the Polar GPS has literally "crashed out on me". But that will be an additional expenditure. Maybe I will just live with the inaccurate distance and let time kill it off before I change it to a New Balance GPS or the Garmin GPS. I just read that the NB is quite good and its new in the market. Will wait out and check the users' reviews on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment