Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Nay... What Cycling Culture?

As expected, Friday's swim did not go too well. I dont think it was totally the fault of the interval on Wednesday. I think it was my mind telling me that I was tired more than anything else. Not sure. Maybe I was just plain lazy. Anyway, 3km swim in 60:48. Almost 3 min off from last week's session. I knew it was bad when I was lapping in past 2min every 100m. Darn!


Saturday's 160km was the usual. 1st 40km the HR was everywhere. Probably due to the rolling terrain. But the flats at Tuas, West Coast, Coastal, the HR was easy to maintain as prescribed. Nutrition seemed to be on track as well. However, the ride was peppered with incidents on the road. After leaving the group of friends and went my own route, I realised thereafter one of them was squeezed so bad at West Coast that he veered off into the ditch and crashed. Cut up pretty badly but he was fine, fortunately. Another guy had an argument with a truck driver for almost running over him. And on my way back home, had an idiotic driver who insisted that because she stopped for me, she was not in the wrong - although I had to steer myself from 2nd lane to 1st lane out of the danger zone, upon seeing her emerging from small lane into the SECOND lane immediately. Fortunately, there were no vehicles coming from my right. Otherwise, I would have been a goner too. Oh well, these are just some of the silly drivers on the roads.


Really, Singapore just does not have


1) cycling culture
2) most drivers need an education that cyclists are human beings too
3) most drivers need to remember that while they are in the protective shell on their vehicles, cyclists are not


Some parts of Australia have cycling lanes on the roads. But I have read about how some of their drivers have intentionally mauled into the cycling groups too. I dont think the problem just lies with Singaporeans. There will always be such people around. When will these people every come to their senses? Is it so tough to put themselves in the shoes of others? Just where is the moral sense of respect for human lives? Is common sense a thing of the past, a lost cause?


Anyway, I did a short 4km run after the 160km bike. Funny that I completed the run in 20min. Didnt feel fast but perhaps the legs turnover and stride distance may have made the difference? Oh well, good run nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment