Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tribute to The Teachers Out There

I read about this some time back. Some of us would have read this story in one way or another. Since today is Teachers' Day, I thought I would post it, as a tribute to all the teachers, coaches, trainers out there.



The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education.

He argued, 'What a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?'

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: 'Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.'

To emphasize his point he said to another guest; 'You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?'

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, 'You want to know what I make?'

(She paused for a second, then began...)

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an iPod, Game Cube or movie rental."

You want to know what I make?' (She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.)

''I make kids wonder.

I make them question.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.

I teach them to write and then I make them write. Keyboarding isn't everything.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math. They use their God-given brain, not the man-made calculator.

I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.

I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life."

(Bonnie paused one last time, then continued.)

"Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, with me knowing money isn't everything,
I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant..."

You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

'What do you make, Mr. CEO?"

His jaw dropped, he went silent.


The skeptics would say that this is just a consoling story to comfort ourselves about how little we make. Perhaps. What I do know is that the power of influence of a teacher in the classroom, may be able to change the course of the students' future, for the better or for the worse, although, their future still lies within their own hands and decisions that they make. 

Regardless, Happy Teachers' Day to all of you out there!

***

Yesterday, I drove to East Coast to train. Havent done that in a while. Did 75km at Coastal, Selarang and Pasir Ris loop. Nice and flat and useful for maintaining consistent HR. Following which was an easy 8km run. Average pace of 5:32/km. Never trained at East Coast Park before. Nice, flat and breezy. Also easy to hold constant HR.

But neh, I wont drive all the way there to run. Takes up too much time travelling. Yesterday was just out of convenience - was already out, so thought I would do it there instead of going home again.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Teacher's Day, HK!

    For what it's worth...those who can do, also teach! Some of us make more sense. Granted, the teacher must be able to share tacit experience and wisdom, and make the link effectively and successfully. Sometimes, the theory may be sound but the logic is flawed.

    By the way, do consider running at ECP in the evening. The humidity will test you ;-)

    At least you have Mount Faber Hill to work your riding/running legs. Enjoy your day, 'cher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, teaching itself is fulfilling. But nevermind the woes of teachers. The grouses wont end. And its going to be the same in every industry.
    Will see how it goes with ECP running but travelling 45min for return trip is difficult for me. Even riding Faber is thrown in because its along the way. Oh well, we do what we can - rubbed off from Coach! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete