Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Getting on...

This morning I received a SMS from a former student. I am not quite sure what she meant by "she did a dialogue session with minister Vivian Balakrishnan". But I suppose she was one of the organisers for the event known as Singaporeans in Conversation 2010.* Its fantastic stuff.


How do I know that I am getting on in life? That I am getting older? Yes, when I get news like these. Just recently, another of my ex student is now teaching in my college. Well, its relief teaching because she has some time to kill while her Uni term is on going. And I remembered she graduated back in 2007 only. Now she is my "colleague". Ah... not forgetting one of the essays written by a silly student. His definition of "elderly" was "people in their 40s". What a bummer! I am quite close to be an "elderly"... My first batch of students, they should be 28 years old now. I know of one who became a father at about age 22. Yup, think it was out of wedlock. Talking about student as colleagues, there is an student who is working in the same compound as me, but in IT support team.


Oh well, yes, I am getting on but life is still looking great for me. I am still able, working and best of all, am racing in ironman races! How much better can it get?


*Clarified with her - she got herself the job as moderator for the session after coming back on vacation from her overseas education.
***


Saturday saw me riding a 100km with ease. No longer felt the fatigue I got from last Saturday's 130km. This was then followed by a 10km which had its distance marked out wrongly by my silly footpod. Did only about 9km in the end I think. Pace was likely to be about 6:00/km or just a tad less. But nonetheless, hot run under the hot sun and humid weather.


Today's 21km time trial was stupendous. Warmed up 1km and started on a high HR 21km run. Coach broke it up to 3x5km and a 6km. I have never gone on these HR for a long distance run before. Today was the 1st. And it came up good. Could have been better but it was still good. Pace of 5:37/km, 5:20/km, 5:13/km and 5:06/km. Took a total of 1:51:45 to finish the run. It is my best so far. I had wanted to go under 2hours and I have achieved it. So all is well and good. However, I know my legs were feeling the heat because HR was just not going on the higher range which Coach had prescribed. But I told myself that as long as I am able to sustain a pace of under 5:30 throughout, I will be satisfied with the achievement.  So yes, all is good.


Enrico does an easy run for 21km in sub 1:45. Now, I wonder when I can ever do that. It is good to have a target in mind? That will keep me working on it. Perhaps in due time, perhaps never. The important thing is that I keep enjoying doing what I am doing. Keeping myself in the pink of health will be all I need to look forward to.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on a superb PB, all done at one go! You will achieve your targets at AHM and IMWA. Keep going, and keep enjoying.

    ReplyDelete