Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tri Bike Or Not?

Was doing a routine 100km bike in the afternoon. Weather was scorchingly hot! I swore I could have fainted from the overwhelming heat!


Anyway, I was on the last set of 20km when I met another cyclist on his tri bike. Presumably a triathlete as well? Coz he was wearing tri jersey. At the traffic junction, he asked me. "You did ironman Swiss on this bike? You must have done an ultra ironman."


Admittedly, I said I didnt do the Swiss. But I laughed it off at the last comment. Seriously, what is wrong with doing an ironman with a road bike? My bike is almost tri bike geometry already. I am quite sure it will serve its purpose. Chrissie Wellington did ride the same bike when she did her Kona in 2007?


I have been tempted for the longest time to change to a tri bike since I am more interested in doing triathlons than road riding. Can a tri bike really make me go faster? I am not sure how much faster I can push myself with a tri frame. I doubt it will make that much a difference. Since I am an average age grouper still new to the sport.


Oh well, perhaps another year? Or perhaps 2. I will want my Soloist to see me through a few more ironman. I have sunk in too much money to consider changing to another frame. As I have told my biking friends, my money doesnt grow on trees. The road bike will have to do. In the mean time, just train harder to make myself go faster, in all 3 disciplines.


Run after the 100km bike was great. Started off the 1st km pretty tired from the ride. But thereafter the pace just go better. Averaged the 8km run with 5:38/km pace. Seems like I am settling into a sub 6min/km pace recently. Even the 30km run on Sunday was done at this pace. Thats nice to know. However, the 30km was done without the 3.8km swim and 180km bike ride. I will need to train to bring this pace even further down so that I can do the 6min/km comfortable in the ironman.


There is still time.


I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment