Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Childhood Pool

Queenstown is one of the oldest estate in Singapore. Lived there since I was 1 year old back in 1974. Use to swim at the swimming pool nearby. And the last time I was there? No later than Primary 6, back in 1985. Never been there ever since I started secondary school. Till yesterday. Went for my first session of training for the day there. The place looked the same as 25 years ago. The only change was that the ticketing booth, which is now automated is up the stairs instead of the entrance to the pool. I seem to recall that in the past, they issued slips of coloured paper to provide proof of payment. The other drastic change was that the swimmer going into the pool now is no longer a 12 year old kid... Time has not been as kind to me as to the swimming complex...


Anyway, I did 400m warm up, 400m kicks, 2x400m, 4x200m, 8x100m, 12x50m and warm down. The water seemed to have some current flow? It pushed me sideways out of the lane while I kicked. And seemed to be flowing faster in 1 direction, lengthwise as well. My 50m laps differ by 5s on the average? Maybe its the more than a quarter of century old flowing or filtering system?


The second session was done in the evening. Did a simple 8km run at 5:34/km average pace. The pace seemed to be becoming more and more consistent. I hope it will get faster in due time.


***


Wednesday, I went off on time to train. Knowing fully well that I will be needed because of the event that would take place the next day. I had to go. Otherwise I would be back home really late. Physically I was out there hammering on my 100km ride session, but my mind was on the phone. True enough there were issues but my good pal helped me settled it, but not before I had to answer a few phone calls still. But nothing that crucial nor urgent. After the 100km bike, did an easy 8km run at 5:53/km average pace. And headed home to rest for the event.


***


Today's bike was 40km. My riding friends who usually ride with me on my Saturday long rides - which they dont follow through most of the time because it was just too long for them - abandoned me and went with Joy Riders. They said I was riding too short! Dammit! So much for riding pals! :-)


Riding short because I had to do a 20km run. Run felt good. Coz I botched up the preprogrammed running plan, I decided to abandon the plan and did the last 10km non stop. The last 5km I was hitting HR of 150 and beyond while clocking under 5min/km pace. It was a nice run because it was raining hard and thus cooling for me.


Running has never been so enjoyable before. Use to hate it. But the moment I got over the lethargy and fatigue from runs, I now look forward to hitting the tarmac all the time. Lets hope this keeps up my health as well as sustain me over many more years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment