Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hair for Hope 2010

College is organising the above for staff and students within the premises on 25 August. I have signed up to be a shavee. Yes, havent had my head shaven since I was enlisted into the army. And it took a darn long time to have it grown back. Now, to support the Children's Cancer Foundation, am doing it again. Just a small step for me for the better good of others. More information about this symbolic move can be found in http://www.hairforhope.org.sg/

I try within my means to help. From the old handicapped buskers, right down to the aunties at hawker centres or the blind at MRT stations selling packets of tissue paper. I use to turn them away or even turn a blind eye when I was younger. But I have gotten over that and understand that not everybody will be as fortunate as I am. This is not about doing good for religious purposes, nor out of sympathy. It is for the sake of humanity. If we dont help, who will?

It serves also as education for my children, that we need to appreciate the things we have and attempt to understand the perspective of those who are not as fortunate. I hope they will learn to have empathy for those around them in future as well.

My Coach just got back from Bangladash on a work trip. He also said the same thing. That we spend millions of dollars in a sport and yet we can give a fraction of that to help the poor? What more can we say, when world leaders themselves could not come with a common consensus who should pay more for the pollution they create in their own countries? Go green indeed!

***
Training today started late. Suppose to have a double session of swim and a run. But due to the rain as well as work, started swim much later than I had wanted to. By the time I got home, I was just too tired to do the run, as much as I wanted to do my intervals.

Swim comprised the usual warm up, main sets of 5x100m, 1km time trial, 3x200m and 12x50m. Somehow the time trial did not go as well. Did a meagre 19:23 which I thought I should have done much better per 100m when I was hitting home 1:45 for 100m for the 100m sets, and 55s for the 50m laps. I think my pulls were not as efficient as they were meant to be. Will have to focus on the arms the next time round.

No comments:

Post a Comment