Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Nurturing Champions?

Been a few days since off the blog. Work had been over the top. But its all coming to an end soon. Will get my life back in order really soon.


Read an article in The Straits Times today. It was an interview with Professor Allan Snyder, "Every chump can be a champ". Prof Snyder is some brain scientist with some high credentials under his belt. He recalled the story of how former non-exec chairman of McDonald's Australia, Peter Ritchie, helped the street kids.


... took children off the street and trained them in the basic rules of serving hamburgers. In the process, a number of great leaders of the fast-food giant emerged.


"But then when I asked how the great leaders at McDonald's are identified from a group required only to learn simple rules, Peter said, "Easy, they are the ones who break the rules."


Their tendency to go against the grain also extends to what they want to do.


Prof Synder adds:" They dont want to be doing something that someone else is doing. To them, its no fun playing in that park.


...


"They dont accept the givens in any field. They challenge them; they are non-conventional people.".


...


"I believe we all have the innate potential to be a champion," he says.


"At the end of the day, it is our mindsets that limit our expectations of ourselves and circumscribe our boundaries.


"Ultimately I believe what makes a champion is a champion mindset. And the champion mindset can most definitely be nurtured."


There was a quote that said, "we are who we eat"? I think more apt perhaps, "we are who we think". Certainly echoes Prof Snyder's conclusion. So start thinking like a champion and we will be a champion in our own ways.


***


Sunday was a wet day. Planned to run early in the morning so that I could have some time with my wife while the kids had swimming class in the evening. As it turned out, it was a wash out. In fact, the wash out lasted quite a long time. Had to run in the evening and it was drizzling still.


It was a 26km run, ironman pace. Weather was very cool and the run was not that difficult. However with the legs still fatigued from Saturday's session, they were slightly achy as I started. Was worried that I could not last the whole distance. After all, with this 26km, I would have done a marathon but split over 2 sessions? Not withstanding that I did a 120km bike as well.


Did a check and found that I averaged a 5:59/km pace for the full distance. That was a good thing because I was feeling fine when I stopped. But if I want to run well in the ironman I should be doing better than this?


This week I am missing 2 sessions because of work. Not getting a very high mileage for bike. Coach reminded me that he wants to get me really good on the run so that I could pass those who start to walk at 28km or so. And I totally agree, the run will lead me to the finishing point. Not having runners' legs and much run training prior, I need to get the old legs use to the pounding. Hopefully with more mileage, the speed will slowly etch its way up.


Monday's swim session with the squad was great. Did not feel that my arms were getting hit big time despite the 2 sessions over the weekend. I was constantly touching the feet of several of the faster guys. I think they could have been tired somehow. Had to slow down quite often not to irritate them. Even had to overtake on some laps because I didnt think I would benefit if I continue to slow down my strokes to wait up. Of course, some of the guys protested in jest. One thing is for sure, my kicks are really really slow. The blokes were all powering ahead of me during the kicking set. Darn! I guess I will have to make up with the propulsion from my arms then.


Today's session will be a 100km bike followed by a 8km run. I hope the weather holds up. Will be trying out the disc again. Just for fun anyway. Will be taking it off really soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment