Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Tick Tock Tick Tock...

Met my wife's gynaecologist at Borders in the afternoon today. My older girl was in the queue waiting for her turn to pay for the books both of us bought. The lady doctor looked her usual self 10 years ago. Nothing much had changed. But it has been 10 years since she delivered my older girl and 8 years since my younger one.


I could still remember the day we had to induce Nicole out of the warm grasp of the womb. She was getting too big and the doc said it would be advisable for her to come out. Induced at 5pm. Waited till the next day 5pm because the dilation was just too little and would not go any more. In the end, it was a Cesarean delivery.


Yes, it has been 10 years since I saw Nicole as a tiny baby, all wrinkled up. You know, new borns are not exactly the most pleasant of things to look at. Those pictures that you see, they have been cleaned up thoroughly before the photographs are being taken. The first thing that came to my mind was: oh my, what an ugly baby! Since then, I have learnt.


Time really passed so fast. From learning to crawl, progressing to walk and run. Now she is a pompous, grumpy primary 4 kid, who showed her emotions freely, with no regard. Alright, this is an exaggeration. She is quite cheerful and considerate. Just need to be taught a few manners here and there. Needless to say, my wife and myself are 10 years older since then. But still as happy and optimistic as ever. We havent really changed much, besides the haywire physical bodies and my much simmered down temper.


***


Brought my disc wheel out for a 120km ride. Whatever that people had mentioned, about it taking harder to take off, it is true. The acceleration is slow. But the moment you whisk it up to speed, it just goes on. However, I do think there is a certain terminal velocity achieved. Not really sure, maybe it is just my feeble and untrained legs that is the cause?


Somehow, after 50km, my legs started to feel fatigue. I think it is because of the 12-23 cassette I have put in. Silly me. I should have just gone for the usual 12-25 which I have been using for my training wheels as well as my 808s. I think it will be good though to continue training on the 23T? So that I will be able to strengthen my legs further. Will be getting the 11-23 for my training wheels. Hopefully there will be sufficient time over the next 3 months to get my legs into action for WA.


Didnt like the attention the disc wheel was getting me. Cyclists were turning their heads and looking. Yup, I passed couple of groups and they didnt want to try to race me - thank goodness! And I did not have to live up to the expectations of disc wheels. At the Keppel Flyover, I was cruising at over 42kph at some stretches. It was simply awesome!


But of course, my run was affected because of the gear change. Partly because of the hot weather as well. Running from 1030 to 1200 was not exactly the best thing to do? The 16km was split into 3km and 13km. First 3km I was doing 5:58 pace, while the 13 was a 5:57 pace. However, the HR was really shooting up towards the end of the run. Even right from the start, I was suppose to start low but HR was going beyond the planned session. Had to slow down so as not to go over by too much. I had to douse myself with so much water that my shoes were wet. Visited the kiosks 3 times to top up my empty fuel bottles, both for cooling myself and for drinking. Weather was HOT HOT HOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment