Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Endurance Training

Ironman training has been about taking bits of trainnig everyday. For me, occasionally I have a day off in a week. The bite size form of training provides me with the ability to recover in time for another session the next day and the next and the next. Coach does not believe in trashing the body at every session. And I think it makes perfect sense. Ironman triathlon is about endurance, to last the full race and not breaking down at any one leg.


Somehow, I draw this as a parallel to many aspects in life. My children gets by with just doing their school homework. I am only too glad that I need not push them to sit down to complete their assignments. They will do them themselves and finish them in time to be submitted to their teachers. However, as we all know that in Singapore, primary school students dont just get by with doing the minimal. In order to be ranked higher in the percentile, they have to work on extra assignments. So my kids have their fair share of assignments but have not been too overzealous. Partly the parents fault, because we would want them to have a more fulfilling life in play as well.


Last night, they got another "gentle" reminder that they need to follow through with their assessment book. And today, my older girl did just that. But in her enthusiasm, she got herself really tired out by the end of the day. I noticed that this has been a prevalent situation. Everytime I serve a "gentle" notice, she goes full steam ahead for a couple of days. Thereafter, the fire in her just died and all faded away again.


Some students also prefer to work last minute for the examinations. But I do find that after the examinations, there is a tendency that they will forget quite a fair bit of what they have learnt, which no doubt will return thereafter with a bit of revision. Still, it takes time and effort to relook the content again.


However, if my kids and students were to perhaps follow the ironman training, of taking in things in bite size, perhaps they might be able to last longer with their assessments, as well as channel more of the knowledge into long term memory? Over time, perhaps there can be some improvement in their grades as well as discipline? Perhaps, this strategy could be useful, not just in ironman training, nor just studying skills, but work as well. There is a limit anybody can do in a day, no matter how much we push ourselves. But when the body shuts down, the mind stops being alert, productivity will diminish. Law of diminishing returns applies, I am sure.


***


On Tuesday, I did my swim at Ang Mo Kio pool. TPY is closed for YOG, Bishan is overcrowded. AMK is cool. Small and quiet and empty. Found a treasure in the heartlands.


Did my normal warm up of 400m and 400m kicks and proceeded to the main sets of 500m, 400m, 300m, 200m, 100m and 50m. Followed by appetiser of 10x50m with 10push ups at every 50m. Pulling myself out of the pool after the main set, and jumping back for the next lap was really tiring. But it sure breaks the monotony of lapping. Today, my chest is aching from the 100 push ups done...


Yesterday, I did a leisure 8km run early in the evening. Didnt push too hard and ran at an average of 5:36/km. I had another bike session later that night on the trainer. Yes, while watching Glee (again) and bits of the crap Wipeout game show. 1.5hours on the saddle. Yes, a simple double session. Still sufficient time for me to recover for my 3km intervals later in the evening...


Bite size...

No comments:

Post a Comment