Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

TV Series vs Movies

I spent a lot of my dates with my wife watching loads of movies. We catch a movie every weekend to a certain point that sometimes we could not find a movie that we wanted to watch. At times. Funny. I think there were so many movies on going. Back in the 90s? Of course, all this dwindled to nothing ever since we started the family. We hardly had any holidays when the kids were young too. Yup, like I tell my friends, get ready for a change in lifestyle once you start a family. Unless the support for child care is very good, otherwise there will be changes that we will need to adapt to.


Recently, I have started to catch the TV series again. Use to like CSI but seemed getting kind of stale already. Be it Miami or Vegas. Desperate Housewives... Pass. Cougar Town can be quite entertaining since it is a short flick. Glee is pretty alright, simple and kiddy storyline, light enough for a brain dead bike trainer session at night. Use to have a good laugh with comedy flicks like Friends and Seinfeld. The latter is still my all time favourite. In the words of Jerry, its basically "a show about nothing". Really, nothing goes on in the dialogues between Jerry, Kramer, Elaine and George. But they still kick up hearty laughs for me. "Whose line is it anyway" shown too late at night in the past, saw a few times and liked the quick wit and fast reactions.


Notice all these are on free to air channel. I do have cable but I hardly have time for it. Or rather, I do not place priority to leave time to catch my favourite series. Its really not that crucial. Recently tried to incorporate my reading during the advertisements as well. Like I tell my buddy, its about time management if I want to have so much things happening in my life?


Currently, my all time favourite is Fringe. In the 90s, I followed X-Files quite keenly for a period. Thereafter, aliens, Area51, Mulder and Scully lost its appeal. Fringe is pretty similar to X-Files. EXCEPT that there are twists in each episode and the events revolve around more than just 2 or 3 persons. Complications are nice cliffhangers at the end of the each sitting. Though I wonder how much longer I can keep up with it without getting myself too confused if I missed any episodes. Its just like Lost - yes, I was Lost after a while and stopped watching it because I did not enjoy it when my head was all muddled up.


In comparing movies and TV series, I have noticed a trend that the latter is getting more creative with the story and character development. I am not much of a film critic, but I do find that movie industry has gone a different route, CGI and effects, neglecting the software part that may still appeal to audiences - just look at Avatar? Perhaps, the time has come to pass, of developing visuals, because the new audience is now just that, and perhaps less wanting a more appealing write up? I enjoyed M Night Shyamalan's movies. 6th Sense was a good example. The Village was... not that bad. Cant seem to recall what else he produced that I watched. Although stylistically he was doing the same stuff repeatedly and lost its novelty over time too.

***


Did the usual squad swim just now. Some of the chaps just got back from Port Dickson tri which I did not take part in over the weekend. So Dion gave easier sets. Whatever could go wrong, went wrong for me. I not only forgot my flippers and paddles/swim gloves but my goggles too - but had spare pair in the bag. Asked Dion if could do sets without the usage and he agreed! Cool dude!


Nothing too tiring yesterday though through some of the sets, still had to heave and puff. But not too bad a session at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment