Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

If there can only be one ironman distance tri event, which would it be?

I know of one teacher who does this: take no pay leave and complete an ironman or 2 a year. But I think the money factor is too much to consider it as an option. So, if I I can take leave once and attend one ironman distance tri, which would I do?

There is only one that will come to my mind: Norseman. Now lets see why is it that tough?


Swim
1) temperature of 15.5 deg C to 17.5 deg C. Water in Singapore is a nice 25 to 28 deg C maybe? For Singaporeans, this will pose a huge problem because there is no water that can train our bodies to acclimatise to.
2) I understand from Enrico's blog that swimmers will have to swim against the current for the full 3.8km.


Bike
1) No service stations. The support must be engaged by ourselves.
2) Out of T1, straight climb for 40km, from ground level to about 1250m. Thereafter a decline and some rolling hills to about 600m, then 10km climb to about 1200m. Then a descend to T2. Bike times of 8-10 hours is common! Bt Timah or Faber will be a molehill in comparison...


Run
1) No permanent support stations for first 25km. After 37.5km, leave for 4.7km straight up the mountain, from 300m above ground to end point which is about 1900m. No support crew, no entry, or wait till next runner with support crew to gain entry. And there will be special check points to check that athlete's fitness is suitable to continue.


Am I ready for this race? Definitely not. Will I be game to do it? Yes! Since most likely I wont be allowed to climb Everest nor do any more trekking ventures in future, I would love to carry on endurance triathlons and end off with a sweet tough, extreme one. It will be the icing on my tri-cake. Swwwweeeetttt!


***


Did my intervals today in the evening. 2km warm up, 2x2km, 2x1km, 4x500m, 4x100m, all at hard intensity. Stamina seemed to have improved lately. Hitting the hard intensity HR seemed more and more bearable now. I think the 4km intervals in the past had done me a lot of help. However, I am still not able to hit the maximum intensity yet...


Later at night, will be mounting my bike for a trainer session for just over an hour. Double session again today. And tomorrow too! But seems like the body is able to take in all the heat this week. Feeling good and energetic somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment