Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

Different At What Cost?

After having worked for a while, I have seen people who had come and gone higher up, while others out. I observe that it takes a particular character to move up the organisation: as long as you dance to the beat of the same drum. Perhaps, it is just what they want to achieve in their lives. Work is what they get the most satisfaction from. To each their own.


Was pretty upset at work today. Started the run with the event replaying in my head and badgering me. I almost gave up my run and succumb to the noise. Concentration just was not there. But I pressed on and as I continued, it dawned upon me that perhaps this was a good opportunity to test out the organisation? I know some people would not have appreciated it but I did it any way. Knowing full well that there could be repercussions. Foolhardiness? Maybe. But to me, it was an illustration that they are not what I visualise them to be? My recklessness may not seem right, but I think neither was I wrong to bring out true character in them. May have made a fool of myself, but hey, I had planned it that way anyway. I have presented before a high profile cabinet Minister and former President of India before, and not felt the butterflies in my stomach without a slight tinge of nervousness. What is a small presentation to the organisation?


And yes, as I continued on the run. I asked myself. If I can do the ironman with all the training that comes by, just what else can be harder in life that my mind cant cope with?


***


Biking in the evening was such a breeze. Although the traffic in the peak hour was heavy, the weather was cool. It was a simple 32km ride followed by a 12km run. Running has been so effortless nowadays. May not be blistering fast, but gone are the days that I get heavy legs, sore knees and aching lungs. I dont run like the wind. But neither do I go on a trotting mode. At least I am doing a decent run, not a jog. Today's 12km run was averaged at 6:00/km pace. I started slow to warm up the body and legs after the bike. Gradually picking up speed till I slowed down my legs again. I am pretty confident I will be able to do a 5:45/km for a 21km run? Would probably be a PB at least? I will find out in September during the Army Half. It would be a good test of how far my run has come, considering that I am a non runner base, failing 2.4km when I was student and passed only when I went to the Army? I am just glad I have come thus far.


I cleared my wardrobe today. My old working clothes were size 17. I am now ranging from 15 to 15.5. The last time I went to one of those custom shirt shops, I needed a 15. My old working pants were also dumped. They were size 36 and now 34 is still slightly loose but can fit in fine. Tried on my wedding suit which is 11 years old? The pants and jacket looked as if I could fit in a couple of chickens.


It is nice to drop the weight. Worrying initially. But coach told me it is fine. Feels trimmer, fitter and more than 10 years younger? Have not felt this way in a while. Although not all the bulk around the waist has trimmed off yet, but it is slowly going away. No, I am not looking to have nice washboard abs. I just want to be fit and healthy. Pink of health, definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment