Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Encounter with YOG Volunteer

I havent done that many triathlons. But I have learnt to thank the volunteers. They are the ones who made it possible for us to be able to race. As much as possible, I thank them whenever I see them. Even during the IMWA 2009, I spent some time talking and laughing with them, AFTER I had just completed the race and felt completely smashed up. AVIVA in Singapore was slightly more tolerable and I could walk and thank our local blokes.

Today, as I was going about my 200km bike, my route to Coastal took me through a different route, because YOG was having a triathlon at East Coast Park. The cycling track was closed and this blocked the access to Coastal. Conversation with the volunteer went like this:

"So, how do I get to Coastal?"

"I dont know."

"But I need to get to Coastal."

"This road is closed for a race." He peers at my trisuit, my bike and my disc wheel.

"Are you a competitor?"

Yeah right! I am that young to be in YOG. THANKS!

"No."

"Are you representing Singapore?"

Hmm.. Is that a trick question? Matter of fact, probably you can say that I represent the country in the ironman triathlon. My bike even has the Singapore flag. So maybe I should say, "Yes, I am representing Singapore... but I am self funded."

"No."

"Then afraid you cant use this road."

Yes, I know. Clearly I can see that.

"But there are cyclists there." I pointed at the adjacent service road that will also lead to Coastal.

"They are foreigners."

So foreigners can use but I, as a local I cant use? Of course, I did not say that. I think he meant those were the foreign competitors. But looking at them... they seemed kind of old. Hell! I am young enough to be a participant anyway! So those could be competitors. Sure!

"Can I use that road? Is it closed?"

"You can try."

Before I know it, I was on my way to Coastal...


***


After the 200km bike I went for a 4km run at IM pace. Or I hope it was? Managed a 5:45/km pace with deliberate slowing down. Felt quite good I thought. For 120km on the bike I was alright. Managed to complete in 4hours. But Coastal simply killed my legs. The wind was just smashing. Not that strong, but strong enough to get my lactic acid build up so much. Felt like quitting at 140km but pushed on.


The return home during the last 20km somehow got bearable after I downed 2 bottles of coke at the 160km mark. Completed 180km in 6hrs11min and the whole 202km in 7hrs6min. But this included the walk along the beach because of road closure. Not that that made much difference anyway.


***


Thursday I did 400m warm up and 3000m. Worked through the 3000m in 1:00:47. Not that ideal because I was clocking 2:05/100m thereabouts for the last 1500m. Just not that good in the IM swim. Though this is an improvement of about 1:04 I did before.


Friday saw swim sets again. Usual warm ups and 5x100m with 1min rest in between and 20x50m with 10s rest in between each lap. 100m were done under 1:43 while the 50m were done in 55s. The 20 times were really lung bursting. 10s was just too short a rest but it is good for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment