Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Childhood School Barber



Back in 1986 when I first got into my secondary school, I was amazed by how big the school was. Up on a hill, 3 long blocks of classrooms, a hall and parade square in between. AND a swimming pool! Compared to my neighbourhood primary school, this was a MAZE! It probably was also the only school with a barber I think?


The shop was tucked away at the back of the swimming pool canteen. All the brats who got into trouble with the discipline master with long hair would be sent there for a nice make over. I remember a cut was worth $2.50. I never got myself there in my 4 years. And thats because it was a hairdo that none of us would have wanted - 4 inch slope on the back and 2 inch slope by the side. I dont think it looks that bad now, but to us then, it was too shameful to be spotted with that unfashionable hairdo.


It has been a while since I had gone back there. However, for the past 2 years, I have been going back there every Sunday because my girls have swimming lessons there. The school has transformed. Oh well, I am sure they would not want to stay the same and not move with the times. The swimming pool had also shifted. And yes, ST Raju, the barber moved with the pool. I even see him attending to customers on Sundays. Now he charged $10 for a haircut. And no, I still did not make use of his service.


In June 2010, he had decided to call it a day. Yes, I think he had been with the school for the longest time. I have no idea how long it had been but he had decided to retire in India. So adios Mr Raju. So to all the ACS boys out there, yup, the man whom we grew up to know as our own barber, has moved on to spend his golden years in his native country. Fare thee well!


***


Morning was spent trudging along the pathment. 5 sets of 6km with 500m walk in between. Started off not too bad, for the 1st 2 sets. On the 3rd set, I knew I was going to hit the wall really soon. The HR just could not be pushed up. The legs just couldnt take up stride. My HR was hovering at very low end of the target set. The route the Mandai was a long and lonely one. The rolling terrain did not make it any more comforting.


The 1st set was more or less a warm up. 2nd set managed a pace of 5:50/km. 3rd set at 5:47/km, 4th set 5:58/km and the last at 6:00/km. Pace was on the decline and it was not good. I really think the 11-23 cassette played a huge role in this because body was fatigued from the shorter than usual ride of 130km. Even with 200km bike, I dont feel this way? It is all good because it will probably means I will be able to get stronger on the easier cassettes I have put on on my 808s. Desaru half ironman distance is coming up. Perhaps it will show an improvement over last year's performance.


Coach just told me that he will want me to a race paced 21km this coming Sunday. Lets see how I will fare. This is in preparation for the Army Half Marathon coming up. This also meant that my bike mileage had been decreased for the week. Should be ok I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment