Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Choices

I gave it a go at 15km tempo run at 5:25 pace this morning. Stopped on the 13th lap at the track. Head was feeling light and giddy, breathing strayed from the usual which shouldnt have happened at this pace and legs cadence was slowing. The last was indeed true when I checked with my Polar software after downloading the data.


The same old thoughts came back to haunt me and the feeling of frustration grew and ate me up. But this time round I was more in control. Yes, it was a good chance to head out with my family for a good breakfast. And that I did!


As I walked home, the heavy heart got lighter. And indeed, life is about choices. This time, do I choose to be frustrated and spoil the day, or I could see it from the perspective as having the opportunity to spend good time with the wife and kids? I chose the latter. And am so glad I did.


Will be attempting another round of 15km# later with Andrew. Probably on the track again instead of tarmac. Hopefully this time, the body will hold up. And tomorrow will be an easy ride, target distance of 180km ^. Just to ease myself back to riding again after missing almost 3 weeks of sessions. Hopefully all will be still good to go.


# Completed 12km (30 laps) all laps under 2:10. Total time taken was 1:02:43. Slightly faster than 5:25 pace. So all is good. Didnt want to be too tired for the ride on Saturday morning. Thus decided to reduce by 3km. In any case, I had already done 5 in the morning. I ran on lane 1 while Andrew ran on lane 8. Thats 456m per lap for him. And it was still a very comfortable pace for him. Bugger!


^ Not even close! Managed only half the distance. Cadence was way off and could feel that the legs were very heavy. Just satisfied that I could easily overtake a bunch of roadies who initially overtook me. Whole pack broke up into different pockets after a while, while I slowly reeled them all in, except for the lead few riders. Given more road I would have reeled all of them. Yeah, still cant stand the showy roadies.


***
Read Chrissie Wellington's blog on her latest win at IM South Africa - the one that Clifford did on his 11th chase of IMs. The iron lady - no, not Margaret Thatcher - won her race with the fastest run split even among the male pros. It was simply amazing! In the blog, there were pictures and one was taken of her legs. Her legs were so toned that the veins were popping out at the calves.


Actually, the veins on my legs are also coming through during work outs. Strangely, it gives me satisfaction. Probably because I have never seen my legs like that before and also more likely, that I know I have been giving my legs a good work out thus far.


I am not losing the weight I was hoping to do since January. And there are still loads of spares around me. But heck, it will have to do. Maybe I can feed on these spares during the race? And perhaps come back leaner?


Yeah right... This never happened. Not for the past 2 ironman anyway. The holiday with the family will just put them all back anyway. Next time. Maybe next time. I will watch my calories and lose the weight instead of training to shed the extra pounds.


Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment