Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

My Wife Is A Triathlon Widow?

In the tabloids yesterday, there was a short article about how some wives were made "widows" by soccer, tennis, golf, table tennis. First time coming across soccer/tennis/gold/table tennis widows. Essentially, these wives were widowed by their spouses' obsession with the sports. How some they will not be able to attend some special functions because their spouse had to play those games.


Before I started the sport, I use to drive my kids over the weekends for their enrichment classes - English drama, piano, Chinese drama on Saturdays and swimming on Sundays. But with my training regime over weekends, my wife had taken over the role of the chauffeur.


So now my wife is an ironman triathlon "widow".


But we still manage family outings with friends. And mainly because I keep my dinner times available and train in hours that are transparent on weekdays. Admittedly, it doesnt always go according to plan and more often than not, some things will have to go. Family had been most accommodating so far. And I sure hope this continues into the future.


***
The return to training had not been an easy one. A flu bug knocked me off my feet for a few days. And sessions had shown that I was not totally fit yet.


Started with Friday's 15km tempo run. In the end, broke up into 5km in the morning and 12km in the evening. Managed the 5:25 pace only for the 12km. Saturday's planned at least 140km ride but only rode 90km. Legs felt weak and cadence was just not up to mark. Was pressing more than usual.


Came Sunday. Mind was just not strong and had thought that 24km at 5:30 pace would be hardly possible. Decided not to go out for the usual long route and did 6 loops of 4.1km in my estate. Almost flat ground would give me a certain advantage and it sure did. Completed the 6 loops in 22:21, 22:18, 22:18, 22:26, 22:28 and 22:24. Quite consistent pace. But I had help with me as well. Andrew did the run with me. And the bloke just completed 15km time trial in 62min in the morning! A very easy 24km for him definitely.


The sun took a peek during the 1st 3 laps and my HR shot up tremendously. Subsequently, it decided to have mercy and hid its rays and I had a glimmer of hope. Thereafter, HR went down to a more manageable rate.


Today am feeling much better. Should get a clean sheet of bill by tomorrow perhaps? And hopefully will be able to get into gear and full steam ahead for Cairns. 5 more weeks to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment