Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

K.O.

It was a really silly thing to happen. Having endured the reservist for 2 weeks, on the last day in the morning, I felt symptoms of an onslaught of flu bug. I had been saying that it would take quite a strong bug to get me down and indeed it happened. The bug knocked me off my feet and been lying on the bed the whole day today. The medication I got last night just was not working. An initial dose of antibiotics and lozenges - probably a milder form. This morning I saw the same doctor and asked for something stronger. And stronger they got. Could feel the difference almost instantly. The sore throat had diminished, the runny nose had almost dried up. Just had a slight hangover of dizziness. Perhaps due to lack of food since last night?


Doctor told me to drink chilled electrolyte drinks as well as ice cream since I was not in the mood of solid food. And that I did. Udders ice cream with bread twice and 2 bowls of porridge. Soft food was very gentle on my throat.


My return to ironman triathlon training had just hit a snag. 2 weeks of just a couple of runs, once swim and once rubber chord training is not going to be put me back on track for Cairns. It is coming up in 6 weeks and that is including this week. Coach had to stop me in my tracks to remind me to stop stressing over training for the race. After all, there will be other races to do well in.


Sometimes it is hard to catch myself in my following my training schedule. After all, who would not like to see an improvement with all the hard work put in? But in the end, instead of thinking of training, I let it go and rested. Hopefully I will be able to get back into the routine stronger than before.


In any case, even if that doesnt happen, it is not the end of the world. After all, I am not depending on this as my livelihood and I do have a family to look after as well. I read this with interest and delight.


***
On the last day of reservist, there was an announcement that there were some of the soldiers who had already done their time and completed at least 10 years of service to the SAF. Pleasantly surprised was that I was also called up. It felt good to be classified as MINDEF Reserve (also known as MR), while the rest of my peers still have yet to complete their cycle. However, I am older than them, so this is warranted.

No comments:

Post a Comment