Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Rain Aint Stopping Me This Fool

Went on a 120km bike ride with 10km run today. Half way through the ride, could see the clouds building up. Why am I a fool? Because there were no shelters along Coastal. And just trees and loads of trees. What did we learn when we were young? When there is lightning, DO NOT stand under trees. And I was doing just that. Biking instead though. I was just praying that the lightning would just pass me over. Strange enough, no lightning where I was. Some bits of heavy drops of rain. Got me wet but I would live.


Was pushing quite hard. Even with headwind I was cutting in above 30kph. HR remained quite stable and this was good . Most of the time above 32kph while cruising and at some point with tailwind, the disc helped pushed up the speed to above 35. But it would be unlikely I would push for the HR today during the race. Maybe just slightly lower. No point trashing my legs before the run.


The best part was this. 300m from end point, I hit a front flat. And the ironman in me, got off the bike, took off the shoes and jogged to the car while pushing the bike along. All this done while it was still drizzling. The BBQ people must have thought that this guy (me) had gone bonkers. I think I deserve a prize...


The 10km run was a good ironman pace. It felt good and I think with proper nutrition I should not be too trashed. Did 1st km with pace of 5:43/km and the nxt 9km in 5:45/km. May have to slow it down a bit more in case I get too tired out for the 2nd half. After all, the real race starts from 28km. So my Coach told me...


And to confirm it, yes, the distance markers were off by 500m yesterday and the day before as well. Today I ran with GPS instead.


Tomorrow would be rest day. Got to go back to work. Had to convince my wife to let me ride long on Sunday instead. After all, the rest is drawing near. Would be having Enrico for company during the 200km ride. Stressful to ride with 10 time ironman finisher...

No comments:

Post a Comment