Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Recovery Week

I cant remember when was the last time I witnessed an accident. Met with one myself with a motorbike many years back. The blood just completely drained from my face then. I must have looked like a corpse or Edward in the teen vampire movie series, Twilight.

Anyway, I saw an incident while driving up to Desaru last Friday. A typical one lane but 2 way street.  A Malaysian driver got out of the lane and attempted to overtake another car but unknowingly, the motorcyclist was going to make a right turn off the road. The car hit him and the bike somersaulted. I could see the rider being thrown off like a ragged doll onto the opposite lane. Fortunately, there was no incoming traffic. Or the accident would have been made worse.

Reminded me to be very careful while driving. Overtaking along Malaysian roads are just so dangerous. The night before coming back to Singapore after dinner, a car in the opposite direction to mine also tried to overtake and I had to brake really hard so that he had enough time to cut back into his own lane. Some of the local drivers overtake 300m before a crest with no vision of the incoming traffic at all.

Maybe its just timid me, I cant live with such driving habits. I may be fast, but being reckless with my whole family onboard just doesnt make any sense.

End of the day, will the couple of minutes savings matter so much as to risk losing lifetime of minutes, or even lifetime of regrets?

***

Did not intend the week to be a recovery week. Had already spent 2 weeks training very little after the half marathon. And with WA coming in 8 weeks time, I dont have much time left. Yes, as it turned out, I was pretty stretched from Saturday's 70.3 distance tri. Body was still recovering from the heat and frenzy.

Monday's swim session boosted my confidence. I could still have a go with the sets with little problems. My arms were still working fine.

Tuesday did a 60km bike session. Tried a different route and rode to Changi Coastal directly. I dont like the afternoon traffic at Mandai. It can get quite crazy sometimes. It was during this ride that I noticed that I dont have much twitching power in the legs. Fortunately, it was suppose to be a spinning session only. A loss of power and motion for sure.

Wednesday did a 12km run in the mid afternoon. Did a slow 6:20/km pace run. Again, I couldnt find the pace and movement too. Legs were lead heavy. But ran off the 12km anyway. Was suppose to have a session on the bike trainer but I figured I would be better off resting. It was a good rest I must say! Watched Ironman II on Bluray.

Good thing was that I had the sports massage at night. Straightened out my ITB, hammies and calves. Today spent another session spinning out a 60km ride to Coastal. Felt much better this time. I held back from pushing it in hope that I will have some legs to run out this weekend's races.

Not races. Training sessions. 25km NF and 30km Newton run. My predictions? 3hours and 3.5hours respectively. In the middle of this all, I have Class 95 "Retro-licious" concert to attend on Saturday night. I have no idea how I am going to survive the concert, with Johnny Hates Jazz, Debbie Gibson and Rick Astley. Oh yes, its back to the 80s! Its a date with my wife and another couple who are our family friends for a long time. Going to be so retro!


And hopefully I will recover fast enough to kick start WA training sessions again the week after... Oh dear...

No comments:

Post a Comment