Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Week 4 to IMWA: Lose Some, Gain Some

Ever since I started triathlons in 2008, I have changed 3 bikes. First was a 2nd hand Wilier aluminium frame. Had a good intent to buy a cheaper bike because I just started out and wanted to find out whether I would continue with it. Then 3 months later, I bought a LOOK carbon road frame. Also 2nd hand. But realised that it was set up too big for me and had severe neck ache. Then decided to change to current Cervelo Soloist, with so called proper fitting. Why so called fitting? That story for another day. Anyway, that was 3 months later in the same year, thereabouts. Sometime in December 2008, I bought the 2009 model. And had been with me since then.


From then on, looking at the amount I had wasted changing bike frames, I decided that I should not stinge anymore and just get something that I like. And it was the same thing when I bought my car. Probably the same reason why I would not be changing cars in a while. Besides the insane soaring COE prices.


And as cyclists or triathletes, we know that changing tyres can be a pain in the butt. Especially when the tyres are brand new. They can be so stiff and tight that getting them out and in of the wheel would take a lot of energy and effort. With this in mind and that my A race is looming, I thought I should use the more seasoned tyres. Despite knowing that the soft side walls of the Pro3 had frayed a little as the tyre lever went round the rim during the change of tube, I had thought the tyres should be able to withstand my dragonfly touch on the pedal while pedaling. Besides, the tyres were not exactly that worn through. Probably 1500-2000km only? They looked quite ridable still. No point wasting money right?


Wrong.


Was up and about riding with Enrico at Coastal. Coach said to simulate ironman pace and nutrition, and work each other up and encourage each other as well. Everything went fine. Weather was great. Clouds covered the skies at 8am still. Light wind but seemed to be picking up. We were moving along cruising at about 31-35kph but averaged 30kph on the first loop. Body was warming up to the ride. And the inevitable happened.


45km mark, bang! I was hoping it came from the ego-too-big-for-their bikes roadies that overtook me. If not for the 200km plan, I am pretty sure I would have smoked them all. Hated the grins on their face thinking they had overtaken a disc wheel bearer. Hmm... I suppose I had my pride too. But I let them go nonetheless.


Back to the Big Bang. Front tyre was flat. And I just changed on Saturday after Friday's flat. Enrico stopped at the top of the crest and I was about to change out the tube when I realised that the tyre had been ripped open. And that could have resulted in pinching the tube and burst it while under the duress of riding.


Tyre was old. It was soft. It was just waiting to happen. And fortunately, it happened today, which was NOT race day. I lost the day's training and could have made it up by restarting again in the early afternoon. But that could have meant not spending almost the whole day with the family. Not withstanding the fact that I spent the whole day working on Saturday - which explained my rest day yesterday.


Coach agreed that I should forgo it and spend the time with the family. And that I did.


Got home, put on spanking new tyres both on the 808 front and the disc. Made a trip to the LBS to buy and replaced the "old" rim tape as well. I was not about to take any risks again. Might as well do everything and test out the equipment for the next 1 month and ensure that mechanically, the whole bike is fully functional.

Yes, penny wise, pound foolish clearly holds much water. Its a lesson that I had learnt and relearnt many times over. Sometimes, it is just so hard to know how much the dollar can be stretched. Definitely not worth it at all in a race that I had spent thousands to get to with the family for sure.



What did I gain? A nice breakfast with the family - I got home and they were still sleeping - and relaxing outing with them. No doubt, a session lost, but not all lost was in vain.


And as I told Coach, I will be ready for hard sessions right from tomorrow onwards. My body is full of energy from the loading on Saturday. The energy has to go or they will become fats really fast. Better dispense of them really fast or I will regret it. (Although I think a day of loading would not make that much a difference in weight gain.)

No comments:

Post a Comment