Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Retrolicious 2010




I have to admit. I was never a Debbie Gibson fan when I was a student. I was more into Indie groups and went on to heavy metal genre. And that included groups like The Cure, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, The Alarm, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Judas Priest, Meat Loaf and all. My particular favourite would still be Depeche Mode. And believe it or not, I heard Bon Jovi back in 1987! And he is still raking out hits till a few years back?

But I did listen to Johnny Hates Jazz and Rick Astley. So the concert brought back memories especially during the videos showing the years of 1987 to 1989 before each group's appearance on stage. It showed George Michael and Wham, Mili Vanilli - lip synchers, BROS and their trail blazing fashion, Richard Marx and his mane... So much so much more.

And this was 80s. More than 2 decades have passed...

Of the 3, Debbie Gibson had the highest entertainment value. She was full of energy and had stage presence. Followed by Rick. Johnny Hates Jazz was probably past their time. It was surprising that they and Rick would be cutting new albums. Wonder how they would appeal to the pop generation of now.

No comments:

Post a Comment