Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Frailties of Life

Life is like a box of chocolates - You never know what you are going to get.

We all know the quote from Forest Gump. My colleague underwent an operation recently. She was on medical leave for a month. I just heard that she had to undergo chemotherapy as a precautionary measure. She had only discovered the growth after her general practitioner recommended a scan. I had another colleague who was also diagnosed stage 4 cancer beginning of the year. She had since returned to work and seemed to have recovered well.

I dont think it was job related. Or maybe it was. But whatever it is, we will never what will happen to life. How will we want to live it? In any way which we think it will be fulfilling. To each their own. There is really no model answer to what one wants in life. As for me, I just want to be with my loved ones and friends and continue to stay healthy. For the record, I have yet to take a day of medical leave for 2010. Lets keep it this way for a long long time. I would say, thanks to triathlons as well as all the supplements.

***

Before the squad swim yesterday, I did a 13km run - 2km warm up, 3 sets of 3km with 500m jog plus 1km of warm down after the last set of 3km. Coach did not give me very tough HR to follow but the weather was punishing and unforgiving. Managed 6:07/km, 5:32/km and 5:05/km. Somehow with the GPS, my pace seemed to be getting faster, compared to when I was using the footpod. Not quite sure why but at least I am certain the distance covered were right.

Squad swim was manageable now. I still cant catch the faster blokes but at least I could get through the sets with ease. I think the strokes were getting memorised by the muscles. I hope they will remember till race day.

Today was a timed ride but it turned out to be about 97km worth of riding. 3 sets of 30min increasing HR, 2 sets of 10min high Zone 4 and 1 final set of 10min middle of Zone 4 ride. I was pretty shocked by the average speeds, 33.7kph, 34.4kph, 35.5kph, 36.5kph, 36.9kph, 35.6kph. And the winds were blowing in all directions for some of the sets. After the headwinds in one direction, I thought the tailwinds would come but the wind decided to change direction. Some parts were strong while others were not.

5km run thereafter, with 1st half in 5:12/km pace but over all of 5:17/km pace. HR ran high on the return leg. I was trying to catch people on the run as a means of motivating myself. Fortunately, all the fast blokes were not around. Otherwise I would have been passed and be demoralised.

Overall, it was a nice session today. Weather was not over hot. Managed to take a nap in the car before the ride. Felt so sleepy after a heavy amount of briyani lunch. Not quite the best type of carb, but oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment