Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Political Power

I caught the 2nd half of the movie Frost/Nixon on HBO. It was about the interview David Frost had with former US President and the only one who ever resigned, Richard Nixon. The incident was before I was born and covered Nixon's involvement in the Watergate scandal.


A simple google of the Watergate revealed that it was a complex issue that was highly politically driven as well as personally motivated. The shocking part of the interview (perhaps dramatised by the movie - I did not look up for the transcript of the interview) was when Nixon said that as long as it were done by the President, it cannot be considered as illegal. Again, revelations of the abuse of power, this time, with full self awareness.


The power granted by the people to a single individual, or a government, is binding and sometimes blinding. This is but one example. Recently, we hear of Aung San Suu Kyi who has finally been freed from political arrest and how just yesterday, North Korea fired artillery shells at their neighbour, South Korea.


Even in Singapore, scandals among top management in the like of SPH, SLA, not mentioning those who had been entrusted to look after the welfare of charitable and even religious organisations, like NKF - TT Durei, Chief Abbot Ming Yi, and on going investigation of Pastor Kong Hee of City Harvest Church. The education sector had its fair share with the Principal of ACS (Independent) having to step down for "behaving in an inappropriate manner".


I too have the power - the power to make my kids happy with the simplest of things. During this period of taper, I spent more time with my kids who are having vacation. I brought them out at night to enjoy the cool breeze at Changi coastal, and hear the roar of the airplanes taking off. Usually, nights were spent chasing them to bed coz they had to rise early. Last night was a good change and I could see their faces beaming with joy. It was so soothing to see them doze off in the car while on the way back. It is times like these that I appreciate parenthood.


My little one sent me a SMS the day after spending a night at her maternal grandma's place - "Good morning. Rise and shine. Hope that you had a pleasant sleep." - were her exact words. Brings a whole new definition to joy.


***


Last night I did a 10km run. 1st 5km at pace of 5:17 and next 5km at 5:14/km. The start of 3km took a while to warm up to the cadence. Thereafter, it just got better. 53min is still far from my PB but I am not expecting to do a PB all the time. It was a negative split though - just a couple of seconds faster (haha). Hopefully this will go down in time.


Did a 40km bike and 6 km run today at Coastal. Ironman pace for the bike but slightly faster than IM pace on the run: 5:27 for 1st 3km, 5:31 for next 3km. I will have to be realistic. If I can even manage a 6:00/km after 180km bike, I will be getting away with murder. I have done my homework, the rest is up to the elements, nutrition, strategy and execution.

No comments:

Post a Comment