Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Olympic Sized Endless Pool?

Not many people in the world will be to afford an olympic sized swimming pool in their own backyard. So how do some of the triathletes overcome this? The invention of resistance based tub that can fit into a reasonably sized backyard or something. Its called the endless pool. Apparently you can do laps and laps of it.


I dont have one and have never tried it. But I came across something very similar and it was olympic sized! Oh well, it was a public swimming pool and there was resistance somehow in only 1 direction. I blogged about my childhood pool at Queenstown and I was there again today for a 1.5km leisure swim. In W-E direction, I took 27strokes while in the other direction, I took 24 strokes. My usual is about 24-26 one direction. Time wise, I was clocking 58-60s for that W-E direction while total for 100m was 1:53. The undercurrent was definitely there.


Last night I did a 4km swim instead of 6km. I was contemplating for a long time and half hour just before Fringe started, I got into my runners and set out for a run. Took about just over 20min thereabout coz I wanted to get back in time to watch the series. Couple of short surges, as my Coach would say, "to keep the legs alive".


Qantas managed to reduce the number of excess passengers to 3 as of today. I am hoping that this will be gone by tomorrow. In which case there would be no need for me to get up too early on the 2nd Dec.


***


Japan Triathlon Union announced that they would have a race on 19 June 2011. Not sure if this were firm but I am contemplating whether I should take the risk and register for this rather than Challenge Cairns. I have to decide by tomorrow before I fly to WA or I run the risk of having no WA to race for as well - registration opens on 6th December.


***


Packing the bike was a brisk after I confirmed that my seatpost did slip. Took me about 30min I think, to unscrew the parts and slip in all the gear. Everything went into the box except for helmet and trisuits. Last year took a lot longer. With that one time experience, did make things a lot easier. Still going through in my mind if I had left anything behind...

2 comments:

  1. Hey it's confirmed the registration for IMWA 2011 will only start from December 15, so no stress okay? See you in Busso!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate for the update! But its ok. Decision has been made and done! :-)

    ReplyDelete