Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week 2 to IMWA: Race Equipment 2010

Heart Rate Monitor



Polar CX800PTE. Communicates with S3 footpod, G3 GPS as well as the WIND bike speed. Yeap, its an all in 1. 1st CX800 died on me because I crashed with it on the bike. This replacement has served me pretty well since, except for the footpod, which may give some problems once in a while with inaccurate measurements.














Swimming gear

 My wetsuit used in my 1st ironman 2009 - Blue70 Synergie. Suppose to be the 2nd highest range to the Helix. But really, I dont think it matters to a normal swimmer like me. I bought this because TBB did not sell the entry level model. It has finally come out of the cold storage and tried on at home. It still fits and made me feel like a seal. It doesnt give me any comfort that there had been Great White sighting and attack couple of weeks ago. Keeping my fingers crossed.






















Trisuit is an old piece used since beginning of this year. Last year I donned a black one and I told myself never to buy black again. So I splurged a bit more to get some form of white in the suit. Maybe the next one I get will be all white - if I can ever find in the 1st place? This is a Zoot.






VIEW goggles. Fantastic fit that looks like a snorkling mask. You can press it into the face and it will stick on like a suction pad. Had 2 pairs since last ironman and both still served me well still.



















Bike


My pride and joy that has faithfully followed me since end of 2008 - Cervelo Soloist. Served me well and seen me through all my races. This is what I will be racing with - Zipp 808 front and the Sub 9 disc rear. What is missing from the picture is the large Profile Design aerobottle attached to the aerobars. The bike will be really heavy with the 3 water bidens (plus aerobottle) and the extra bottle for spares - tubes, CO2, tyre levers, etc.


I should be absolutely self sufficient in terms of nutrition and will likely only depend only on water bidens for hydration provided by the aid stations along the bike route.


Specialized Trivent cycling shoes. My 2nd pair of biking shoes. Will be going back to this because I dont really like the new and loud white pair I bought a couple of months back - I find that the front did not hold the feet too tightly. This pair really looked quite old and trashed and it is pretty much that. It has seen many adventures with me, crashes, long rides, rain, errr.... not to mention pee. Yeah, Coach told me that I should practice doing that on the bike. To stop and use the portable toilet will cost me many positions, even within the span of just 5min. And I cant really afford it? Since I am not fast on the swim... and bike... and run... Darn...


Rudy Project probably has the nicest mirrored lenses that comes with clip on prescription. Oakleys do not come with clip on. Otherwise, Oakleys would have been my 1st choice. The Rudy served its purpose. But somehow the quality is not as good? Despite its plastic looking material, my sweat and probably the sunblock still corrodes the frame somehow. Looking forward to replace this soon. But not yet for the race though. So it will still have to be this pair.






My gloves get really smelly despite washing. So I vowed to use cheap ones so that I wont feel the pinch when I have to throw them away. So this is the latest addition to my equipment. Used once or twice only so far. Trying to keep it as clean as much as possible for WA. Over 6 hours is a very long time to have the scent on my hands...














Running gear


The shoes that have kept my knees injury free thus far. For the past 1 year, I have moved over to Newtons and managed to keep my knees still in ok shape. This pair is my 6th pair already. Just seasoned for IMWA. Will go into the pack soon with a few more runs. I have tried the Stability Trainer, Stability Racer as well as the Neutral Racer.


They do not really last long but how long would I want my shoes to last? After all, if I want to remain injury free, I would want to make sure the shoes will still be able to protect me and not the other way around. The opportunity costs will be too high.
Nathan fuel belt. My 3rd belt since last year's prep. Started with size L, went down to M beginning of this year. This is size S. Not that I have shrunk this year but the size M stretched too much over the year and was not suitable for the race any more.


The black module is the new Polar G3 GPS module. Last year I strapped the old one to the arm and was not very glam looking in the picture. This year it will be strapped to the belt instead. Hidden from view.






Head Gear


New helmet this time round. My 3rd MET Inferno. 1st one was bought in 2008 - yellow piece. 2nd one - white - was bought for the eluding IM Japan race. This one is bought to retire the 1st helmet. No particular reason why I am always going back to MET besides the fact that for the price I am paying, it is well worth it because it is made in Italy.

The Halo visor is my old trusted one. Been with me since last year and gone through all my run sessions as well. Best part was it remained white after washing despite the grim it goes through with me. I think the material must be pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment