Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Power & Peace





I caught Megamind with my family and our family friends. Hilarious cartoon, highly entertaining, witty at times. And with the events that happened around me, the stories I have heard, I was reminded of the power Man has and how much it can affect those around us.

Remember the Spiderman series from the movies? Peter Parker's uncle Ben with his last breath told Peter, "With great powers, come great responsibilities..." How apt and how true...

- Hitler was highly influential, he brought up the nationalistic nature of the Germans and look at how he was able to garner support from the nation and soldiers to create so much suffering and chaos in the world

- Parental power, how much we have been given to be able to influence the minds of our young ones. Sometimes, even the mistrust of the loved ones can turn to abuse, physical or mental. Just look at the number of sexual abuses and even deaths caused by their own family members. BBC had reported about Haitian child slavery even in present times.

- Bosses have the power to make or break an employee's working life and career prospects. My friend shared an article in Business Times, that employees leave not because of the company but because of the bosses. Some truth, though not completely right. My wife had her fair share of nonsensical bosses. And I have my own as well. But the power is very obvious.

- Cheating and abusive spouses. I have heard enough stories to write a book on it.

And I can go on. Power does not lie in the hands of leaders as we often think. It lies in everybody's hands. How we use it, will have an impact on the lives of those around.

My nightly routine with my kids was to lie on the bed and talk for a while. My kids had always wanted to go home on their own - an attempt to gain independence - but ever since we shared about the child molester in the estate, still uncaught, they had been quite weary. My older girl commented just tonight: why must there be bad people; why cant we be nice to one another?

One for the adults to think of. If only Man were so easily understood and had more common sense, perhaps there can be - as many of the Miss Universe wanabes would say - "world peace".

No comments:

Post a Comment