Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

And Yet Another...

How many lives will it take for drivers and road users to recognise the vulnerability of cyclists? The first fatal accident this year and we were not into the 1st week of 2011? Regardless of whose fault it was, the cyclist or the driver, a life lost would mean the loss of somebody's spouse, child or/and parent. In this instance, it was all 3.


I can only say with regret that cyclists though growing in number, it is just not economically viable to widen the roads to fit a cycling lane - after all we do not pay to use the roads, and the notion of saving the environment is not exactly an idea big enough for anybody to care too much, a novel idea more than something to be acted on. And all these despite having witnessed the massive erratic climatic changes, ranging from floods during summer in Queensland Australia and Pakistan, the blizzards in New York and Europe.


Nonetheless, I will continue to ride safely myself and be more aware of the traffic around me.


***
Hot afternoon yesterday. So instead of riding out, I chose to ride on the trainer for 1.5hrs. 3 sets of 20min with increasing HR. Tiring but satisfying. I dont think my legs will feel such fatigue on the road unless I pound up the slopes. Was a good quality session. Riding with sets made the session more bearable and the meshing actually took my mind off the boredom. I should do more of such sessions at home. And I could catch a few movies at home too, and definitely safe from the jaws of death on the roads.


Cool evening and made it a good time for a run. Warm up 2km, ran 6km and warm down last 2km. Decided to walk the last 900m for the warm down. Kind of disappointed that I did not run too fast for the 6km - only managed a 5:11/km but the HR was on the high Zone 4 for the final 10min. And during that period I was running a sub 5 pace. But just wasnt good enough to reduce the average pace for the full 6km. Although my stomach felt a bit tight but it was no excuse. Perhaps another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment