Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

When East Meets West

The latest fan fare about Amy Chua - Tiger Mum's way of bringing up kids. Its pretty amazing how fast the controversy appeared in the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Chua


East meets west methodologies in raising kids. I take a difference stance on this. Somehow more like I take the best of both worlds. I believe in allowing my kids to explore on their own. I can even sacrifice the academics if need be - dont get me wrong, I still dont allow it since they will end of the day have to go through the system here - but I will want them to have a fulfilling childhood at the same time. Discipline, self motivation and independence is what I try to inculcate in them. It was not an easy teaching them this way. Spent countless times nagging and it required making all a habit and even scheduled. They however understood the good thing behind it - they could do whatever they wanted after they were done with their work. Most of the time spent reading though. No rods in my home. Because the sheer force from me can endanger their lives. However, it doesnt mean sparing the rod - rapping on the palms, buttocks as well as naughty corner. I think the last was the worse for them. Staring at the wall and doing absolutely nothing.


I probably am not the best of parent. Not the best of academic guidance for them. But I like them to have a nice childhood. After all, they are children and need the space and time to run free. Otherwise, when they reach adulthood, it would be a crazy and meaningless corporate rat race. Where will the meaning be then?


***


Monday's swim included a 1500m time trial. I miscounted with my watch and did 1400m in 24:19 - included slowing down coz the lane was just too crowded. I should be able to maintain the 1:45 for the last 100m and that would put me just outside 26min. Not too bad. It may just be my PB. Not too sure. Splits were about 1:45 per 100m. BUT I got lapped once by Andy! Dammit! And if Jerry had not had his cramps, he would have lapped me too. Thats 2 guys too many... Will try to lessen their lead on me over the course of the year ahead. I dont know how and if even possible, I can only try. After all, I am hoping to improve still. By how much, I wont know. Shouldnt be too much I am sure. After training for a year, I reduced by 4min thereabouts? Swimming is just so technical.


Did 10x300m in the evening today. Told 60year old runner that I would stick to his pace and true to my words I did. Recovery time was much faster this time. Some as short as 1:09. Most of the sets were at 64-65s. But considering that the recovery time had been reduced by 5-10s, I think it was a pretty good time for me. However, my buddy could not recover as fast - he was after all 60 years old! I could have gone slightly faster on the sets. But stuck to my words and didnt abandon the old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment