Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Power of Sleep

Got out of the door feeling tired in the evening yesterday. Was suppose to complete an easy 10km run. Started out for 500m, stopped and walked back home. Mentally and probably physically I was exhausted. From work and likely accumulated fatigue from the week's training sessions.


Stayed home for the rest of the evening with my daughter. She kept me company while I caught a nap before dinner. Felt fresh and headed out at night to attempt the run again. Maybe the cool night helped, but mostly the short nap made hell of a difference. Completed the 10km in just under 55min, negative splitted the 2 halves. With the increasing intensity during this base period, I think my body is still trying to adjust. In fact, I have been catching naps in the evenings before I start out for many of the sessions. Even weekends I catch a nap in the afternoons. They make me more refreshed for the rest of the day.


I believe the track work had made a lot of difference in improving my cadence. I found it easier to have a higher turnover on the return 5km last night. Stamina wise I have also improved. Am able to hold the higher speed for a longer distance too. I can only hope that this keeps up. Looking forward to a whole new level of fitness for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment