Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Wet Monday!

What a way to start off Monday swim. It practically rained the whole day. Through the swim session too. All of us were hauled out of the pool for more than half an hour. Dion the coach told us to complete our 1.5km swim on our own. I did 3 sets of 500, with last 2 sets with paddles. However, at the last set, last 100m I didnt manage to complete coz we all got called up again. It was then we decided to call it a day.

Enrico and my friend Andrew got conned by me to attend the session despite the rain, "No lightning, no thunder. All good to go." And another friend, called me on my mobile at 8pm to check whether I was crazy enough to swim still. Obviously, his call went unanswered.

Was I mad to do it? Maybe. But as we all say, if it rains during a race, be it ironman or OD, do we stop? Clearly not, unless the official cancels it? So the mindset should be similar? So many times I have been caught in the rain while riding and I had ran in a drizzle and also caught in heavy rain on a long run. As long as it didnt endanger my life, the session goes on. In any case, I enjoy my sessions and that is what is important. Running in the rain is quite soothing. It is something that I havent done in a long time since I was a kid. My kids love to walk in the rain. I think its good for the soul.


Take a look at Enrico's interview with Deca ironman finisher. 38km swim, 1800km bike and 420km run. What type of discipline during training will it take? What type of mindset is necessary to reach the end point? Strong grit, good strategy and immaculate execution.

Today's track work was 3.2km warm up, 10x300m with 100m recovery. Managed to complete mostly in 61-63seconds with 1 set in 64s and last in 59s, followed by 2km warm down. Controlled my pace for the most bit and definitely better than last week. What I set out to do, I managed. 63s is manageable as long as I dont slow down in the final 100m. Painful yes, but I hope to reap the benefits in future runs. The group planned to run 5x1km intervals on Thursdays at 4min/km pace. I am not sure if I should hit 2 hard sessions of run in a week so I will stick to Coach's 12km plan. I will try in future, but not just yet. I will have to be patient.

Had to do something extra on Monday. Woke up at 5 in the morning to do an hour of bike trainer before sending my kids to school and me getting to work. Not sure how long I can keep this up but I can only try. Getting the morning session started was tough as I was still very sleepy. But after the cold cranking, the spin became better. Caught an old season of Oprah Winfrey on Channel 5 while spinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment