Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dropped Like a Fly...

Have you ever sprayed insecticide and the fly just fell off in midflight? That was exactly what happened to me last night. Got dropped like a freaking fly.


Legs felt tired from the weekend's sessions. Monday night I already felt it. On Tuesday before I left for the ENR session, I had the inkling that I may not be up to mark. Had decided to do bike instead of run coz running mate Andrew would not be running and secondly, thought biking might just be easier on me.


Tomoya was there. Tee calls him Japanese Tsunami. I call him Mr My-Bottom-Bracket-Is-On-Fire. 1st loop I managed to help pull at 46kph on the return. But my legs were fast fading. On the uturn, the blokes made the turn 20m earlier than me. By the time I wanted to catch up, they were speeding away again. My legs were already lactating up. Tee gave chase and caught up but my mind was weak. And so was my body. 20m for me to catch up, I was already going at 36kph and I would have to go up to 40kph to narrow the gap? I was in no state to do so.


And so, I got dropped like a damn dead fly.


The last time I got dropped by the group when I was a few months into training for IMWA 2009. I remember distinctively it was my 1st double session in a day - I did a swim in the afternoon and the bike at night. I lost the legs then. Last night, it happened again. It was so humbling. Feeling was horrible but it just meant I need to get back stronger.


On brighter side, it could also mean that the mid distance run I did on Sunday was really good quality stuff because such fatigue had not really hit me this bad before. Oh well, just to console myself, perhaps. The reality was, I still got dropped.


Today I did a 90km session with probably a 5km run with Andrew. 30km spin, 30km slightly faster, 10km with 200m sprints at every 1km, 10km speed and 10km warm down. Could feel the lactic build up during the 200m sprints again.


The run was a good quality run for me, with Andrew taking it easy, of course. Damn! I was doing just a bit better than 5:30 pace probably and it was a breeze for him. But the master of running has been running for 10 over years. He should have a huge huge base compared to my... 2 yrs... But again, no excuses.


Fatigue has started to seep in after 2 weeks of sessions. It is now a new level of training, yet again. Got to put up with it coz I dont have much time to Cairns.

No comments:

Post a Comment