Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

300m Track Work

Tonight's track work was 10x300m with 100m recovery. 61s, 63s, 64s, 66s, 66s, 65s, 68s, 63s, 64s, 58s. Recovery time was 1:20 on the average. Since it was the 1st time I was doing 300m, I wanted to keep it conservative. The key to doing such speed work is to latch on to somebody in front so that there is more motivation to keep pace. I found that the moment I lose the front man by just mere 5m, my mind got a bit lax and simply cruised through. And that was exactly what happened with the 68s lap.


The 60 year old Uncle Lim helped me on the last lap. He paced me and I was forced to hasten the legs cadence. Although I beat him by 1s, seriously, I should be ashamed. I needed a 60 year old man to push me to that pace! There is more to be done definitely and I will try to amp it up next week during the similar work out. Perhaps 64s for all 9 sets and an all out in the last. And this time, there will be no chili sloshing in the stomach - did not learn my lesson and ate Hokkien Mee with chili at 1600 when the run was at 1830. Started with a 3km warm up, followed by a 2km warm down after the sets.


Andrew was really a monster. He clocked 51-53s on average with the last one in 48s I believe. Thereafter he ran another 2x600m with 90s pace with a female sprinter from the institution. But he has been running for more than 10 years - so I console myself...


***


Last night I met up with my Volvo friends for a meal/supper. Been a while since we met up and it was great fun talking about everything under the sun. And it was then I heard about a story that just made me look at the drivers in Singapore with disgust. Not only are they unsafe and callous, the egos are simply too big for their shoes - or in this instance, for their cars.


Lady friend of mine was driving along and the Clown tried to overtake her but without signalling. And since she was not in the mood to be bullied, refused to let Clown in. And Clown got so close and his front bumper hit friend's rear bumper. Clown's Audi was a total wrecked and my friend's SAAB was perfectly fine - I suppose it was because of the characteristic of the front crumple zone of all cars.


The first statement from the Clown was," You are a lady driver. Why do you drive like that? You should have given way..." Since when did we ever breed such an animal in Singapore? Where has all the education gone to? It is with disdain that I look at such a breed of animals behind the wheels.


Speaking of Audi, I caught National Geographic on Mega Factories that built Audi cars. It was a specific part of the manufacturing of the supercar R8. I could now appreciate why the car cost so much. The car was fully customised by the owner. It takes 4 days to paint the car. For the body works to be immaculate, the worker had to be lint free. Best of all, it was fully assembled by hands. Only the paint job was done by robots and this segment takes up 70% of the power consumption of the whole factory. Incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment