Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

SEA Games Record Holder - Rameshon

Thursday was a great weather to run. Did 10km trail in MacRitchie with my female colleague and another mutual friend. We did a conversational run. While resting at the cafe, met Murugiah Rameshon, Singapore's fastest marathonor and one of the coaches in the school scene. Not sure if he is still a national coach.


It was an interesting conversation with him. There were absolutely no airs. He set the SEA Games marathon record of 2:24:22 which still stands today. At age 43 in 2008, he managed to win the race in a time of 2:49:37. And I dont think he had a pacer then.


He told us about how the Kenyans were paid to train and run for the country. S$25 a month back in 2001. That was 10 years ago. But imagine the meagre amount. Not sure how this is compared to their cost of living? Also they had to stay 4 to a room that was really really small. The Kenyans had to be in it for the win because the prize money would be able to give them a good living for the rest of their lives. So yes, it was a means to their survival.


While Singaporeans run to keep healthy.


Sometimes we forget that we do not have to do so much physical work to make a living and yet we lament that we are poor? We need such reminders to shake ourselves up lest we forget how fortunate we are.


Or maybe its just me.


***
Managed to do my swim on Friday after the downpour. I had thought my training plan would have been flushed away - but alas, the rain stopped. Oh yes, the lazy bug was ever present.


400m warm up, 400m kicks, 50m, 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m and decrease back to 50m in the same order. Followed by 6x50m on the 55s with 200m warm down.


Did my yoga and learnt a few new stretches, one called the Warrior pose, Tiger pose and the inverted V that is the concluding set of lunge-baby-cobra set. Yoga is really stretching much of my muscles that I had never stretched before. Flexibility is still not present but hopefully will come in the near future.


This morning did a 16km trail run, plus another 6 km to get to the trail and back. Coach had put me on a 13km one way but trail was only 8km 1 way - another excuse was that I had Desaru ride tomorrow and had no plans to lose my riding legs.


Well, Lunar New Year holiday is coming. I had better pump in more hard miles before I get fed/fat from the holiday delicacies. Having said that, really, training goes on as usual. There will be no relenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment