Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Coach in Town!



And I had not trained for past 2 days! Oh well... Life goes on. I do what I can.


Anyway, Coach and I went for a swim at night. He offered me many solutions to my swimming problems. I dont have much time left to get all into action for Japan, but I will bear them all in mind:


1) I have the habit of breathing out while on the pull. Coach said I should hold it in the lungs and only blow out just before I take in next breathe. Rationale is this: if I keep the air in the lungs, this will keep me buoyant and help me to stay afloat better.


2)  I am having too much resistance from my kicks, especially from the left leg. The kick is too high and results in less streamline, and thus more resistance. I should try to keep the kicks as flat as possible, or ensure that the knees are brushing each other lightly.


3) I will have to practice my breathing position - I have the tendency of lifting the mouth fully out of the water. Coach breathes with half the mouth submerged in water. In this way, the rocking motion is reduced and thus, more streamlined again.


4) Sighting need not have the whole head out of water - just ensure that the goggles are out of water will be sufficient.


Of the 3 disciplines, as any triathletes will know, swimming is the most technical. Main reason is probably because of the medium we are in when it comes to water. The fluid resistance is more real than air resistance, and definitely more effective against us swimmers if we practice the wrong techniques.


Coach taught me some drills and I will have to practice them on my own. Will do it while I can now and definitely practice while training for Busselton 2010.


Drills included:


1) Palm tapping while in stretched out position.


2) Pulling with thumb grazing thigh and side of body before stretching forward.


3) One hand drill.


4) Strap the knees together with elastic chord and do the kicks.


All these are going to take time to perfect. I have the time and I believe I should be able to improve given more time. In the meantime, I will just make do and correct as much as possible.


Coach had many stories to relate to me. We had dinner and instead of the usual Australian meal, he opted for local food. Adventurous I must say! Then again, he had been in Singapore quite a few times already. So he must be use to the chili, the curries, etc. He had char kway teow with cockles and lup cheong, satay and BBQ wings!


Coach will be doing Busselton end of the year too. Looking forward to seeing him there. Will catch up for a good meal again then!

No comments:

Post a Comment