Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Final Week!

Yes! My second ironman attempt is here. Next weekend will be the race in Goto, Nagasaki. Training for this exotic race started since 10 January. And it is now drawing to a conclusion. 21 weeks of training, including the 2 weeks of reservist. Effectively 19 weeks then. Shorter than 2009 Ironman Western Australia's preparation by a hefty 4 weeks thereabout.


Reminiscence...


It was a memorable start to the training for 4 months? I spent the first session on a Sunday doing a 200km ride to Desaru with a bunch of ironman triathletes. And a few weeks later, I did a 240km ride with them again. It was intense! Longest ride I have ever done in my life. Although it was peppered with much happenings?


1) I had 2 flats in the same location.
2) On the way back for about 50km, my rear derailleur was stuck on the 12T cog. From a 20 speed gear, it became a 2 speed - only the front derailleur could shift.
3) Matthew saw a huge animal in the middle of the road and he decided to u-turn and get out of there.
and so on...


The company was filled with lots of laughter and really enjoyed the time I had with the gang. Looking forward to ride with them again after the race.


Desaru - Sidili? I cant remember how it is spelt... This was after 150km or 160km point? The guy on the right most? That's Nigel. One of the 2 fellas I know who recently in May completed Ironman St George - Utah, which is one of the most gruelling ironman race in the calender. Kudos!
9 time Ironman Finisher, twice Clearwater qualifyer and ultra endurance buddy of mine - Enrico.


Of all the run sessions, the most memorable one was when I did double run of 28+12km in a day. Not just once in a week, but twice in 3 days. It was memorable because I never expected myself to be physically and mentally able and ready to attempt it. Thanks to Coach, I managed to complete it.


Appreciation...


Much recognition must be given to my family, especially my wife, who shouldered the family while I was out there training. If not for her support, I would not have this opportunity to experience this wonderful journey of ironman and knowing other like minded ironman triathletes. Ironman racing may be a solo race, but the journey definitely need not be so.


Will be leaving on 10 June by SQ flight to Fukuoka. Same day domestic and reach Fukue island in the afternoon. Doing a homestay with a local all the way till end of race day on 13 June. The next day domestic back to Fukuoka in the early morning. Stay over then for 2 days before taking the international flight on 16 June back to Singapore. The only concern I have is whether I will have the energy to pack my bike after the race and be ready for the departure on 14 June. Well, it will just have to do isnt it? What else can be harder than to complete the race?


Ganbatte!

No comments:

Post a Comment