Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

So foul and fair a day...

Rain God and Sun God are in cahoots today. Just when you want the rain, He goes into hiding and out comes the Almighty Sun... Yes, He was mighty mighty strong from the morning till early afternoon.

Started on the 197km ride at 0530. Didnt end till almost 1400, although I spent 7.5hrs on the saddle. The remaining time was spent at kiosks refuelling as well as dousing myself with water. It was a continuous attempt to cool myself with water in the bid to lower the body temperature so that I could bike better. It worked only for like 10min before I started feeling the heat again.


Did 4 loops of the continuous rolling terrain as well as 4 times Mt Faber. Strangely the knees did not feel any pain. But I did take considerable effort not to step wildly on the pedals - something that I learnt from the past few months of training. Perhaps in the past I could have done that when I was younger, but with the recent events of potential injuries, it was no longer wise to be in denial that the body is getting on in time.


Met 3 female bikers - looked quite strong and probably national cyclists - riding for Passi:one:, one of our local bike shops. It gave me motivation to spin faster along West Coast Highway, not to be slower than them. Well, I was faster than them. Ha! But they were probably spinning home already?


I tried to use the time spent on the saddle to think of work. I was to be running a school wide project really soon  but the heat kept all the brain cells away. Maybe it was not just the heat but also the exhaustion where every ounce of energy was used to get the bike moving along the tarmac. In any case, yes, I would have to work on that really soon. I have 2 weeks at reservist to think through too.

I was suppose to do a 10km run but only managed 4km. Made the mistake of not bringing water out the door. I dont bring water and fuel usually for 10km runs. The sun must have gotten into my brains and forgot that the heat would have drained me of all the energy during the bike leg. In any case, the heat was intense at 2pm. And the soothing clouds came out to protect the earth at about 330, an hour after I had finished the run, resting in the air con room, ravishing a huge load of rice - post training carbohydrates.


Disappointed? I must say! It was always "on hind sight". But complacency or even stupidity would have a price to pay. And an incomplete session that will snowball into possibly unsatisfactory race results will be a consequence. Lesson learnt yet, and as Coach always says, "Always be ready as you would in the ironman race."


Friday's swim was a 3000m main set. Forgot my watch and had to keep track manually. It was so difficult trying to remember the laps. Got mixed up very fast. Probably did about 60 laps. Not sure if I did less or not. Time was about 64min. Again, this is only an estimation. What an irony? I cant count though I am a mathematician... Then again, I am not required to count from 1, as an arithmetic progression with a common difference of 1. Yikes...

No comments:

Post a Comment