Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fueling Check

Learnt something new from Coach last night. This has been written multiple times before by all the various coachs in books. But its funny that it never got into me and practiced it?

I know I always train short of carb. Coach always reprimanded me for this. But on the bike, I just find it so hard to squeeze the gels into myself especially during the 200km rides. By the time I hit 100km, I would have consumed so much gels that I grow a dislike for it but consume nonetheless.

There are many carbo drinks that are sold in the market. But figured that it was not really that necessary? I did what my Coach taught me - squeeze the gels into the bottle and mix with water. If I need 250g of carb for the bike leg race say, I will squeeze in 10 gels and mix with water and ensure that bottle is emptied. In this way, it is easier on the tongue, and all the correct carb will go into the body.

Anyway, I did it for my session today. Aerobottle and 1 biden with 3 gels each dissolved. Conscientiously I finish the bottles on the hour. Rode only for 2:14 anyway (about 60km only). So that makes up the carbs needed for the ride. Off the bike I felt good. Did ironman pace with cadence of 84 for 8.2km. Checked thereafter that I managed under 6min/km for the session. Hydration is still a problem for now? My bidens are puny. I am suppose to make use of 750ml bottles. I will be hunting for these really soon.

But yes, a new strategy for the race and future ones as well. It is about time I race and fuel smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment