Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Counting Down...

This is the start of week 6 before Ironman Japan. Like Coach said, I have done all that I could have done since 9 January. I believe it has been a good 4 months of training. Ventured into sessions I never thought I would have been able to do? Faber intervals both on bike and run; running intervals at both short and long distances; hitting 40km run in a dual session in a day not once but twice in a week resulting in a 102km running mileage; riding a couple of 200km in Singapore and twice in Desaru; swimming splits going under 1min per lap in the pool - improving from last year of 1:05.

From the Polar software, I was burning about 7000-8000 calories in a week while training for WA in 2009, excluding the swim sessions - because I dont have any readings from then. This year, I see more 10000 and above calories weekly sessions, again excluding the swims. This only meant that I am doing more miles and I suppose this is a good sign? I should be stronger. And I will need it for Japan. The terrain is not exactly going to be a mean feat for me.

Nigel and Clifford completed their Utah IM on May 1. The terrain was so challenging that both were stretched to their limits. Nigel naturally strong on bike and run, took 7:11 to clear his bike and just over 6hrs to finish his run. Clifford played the time bomb game - he was 6 min from the cut off time. He also said that 500 DNF the race. It was pretty amazing how the pros still came in at 4:53 on the bike and the champion Michael Weiss took 8:40 to finish the race!

I had a pretty good session today after yesteday's disappointing run. Did a 30km bike and immediately thereafter ran 3 intervals of 5km at ironman pace, with 500m walk in between the run sets. The splits were quite surprising? Did a 29:03 (5:48/km), 29:14 (5:51/km) and 28:40 (5:45/km). I doubt this will be achievable for the actual race, but I will try to stick to a 85 cadence. It seemed like a good pace for myself.

I need positive thinking. I just saw the bike and run course elevations, apparently have been updated recently? Have not seen them before until now...




I need to prepare my mind and hope that whatever I have done will be enough to handle this... Good grief!

No comments:

Post a Comment