Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Week 4 to IMJ

Friday's 25km slaughtered me after 5 days of rest. Feedback from the legs loud and clear. The mileage training for the legs are just not sufficient. The next day, I woke up with sore knee and very tight hammies and quads. I was hoping that they will go away throughout the whole day on Saturday because I planned to do another 25km at night.


Night came and the run started painfully. Knee was hurting from every pounding on the tarmac. In the end, I merely did a 5.4km run. It was pathetic. I never expected myself to end up this way. I figured that the culprit was the tight muscles. So I took the time to roll and massage and stretched the ITBs, the quads, the hammies and calves.


Went for a morning swim this morning. 400m warm up and a 3km set. This was the first time I put to practice what Coach had taught me. I blow out just before I surface to breath as well as keep the kicks small and streamline. The breathing gave me a lot of problems. Lungs were aching from the change in technique. I slowed the strokes compared to last time and I was still clocking about 1:03 per lap. It had been 2 weeks since I last swam, so this pace is fine with me. Plus I told myself that I wouldnt want to trash myself. Did 63min for the 60 laps. Pretty alright but hope to improve the next time since I am accustomed to the new technique. I will just focus on these 2 changes for IMJ. Not too many things to change for a race that is so near.


Did a short ride after the swim. A mere 30km just to ensure that the legs could still keep up with the cadence. Turns out to be pretty alright. The spinning helped to loosen up my muscles anyway. Sped up a short 75m slope at 40kph over it - so that was the highlight of the ride.


Reached home and started out on the run. Completely crap. Did only 700m and I stopped. My hamstrings were just aching so much that I could hardly keep up the running cadence. The good thing was that the knee pain was gone? Plus the weather was really humid. I have no idea what happened? I am pretty sure if it had not been the reservist, I would have easily done this session. Seems like the break had done more harm than good.


I can only cross my fingers that things will get better when full training swings into gear again next Sunday. I had told Coach that I would want to do 2 sessions a day so that I can regain the fitness before and also to peak at the right time on 13 June 2010. Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment